Annie

Is it normal for a dog to have diarrhea after giving birth?

My Shih Tzu had four puppies yesterday morning, and now she has diarrhea, is this normal?

Asked by Annie on Aug 4th 2010 in Puppies

Answers

What did your vet say about that during her post whelping exam??? NONE of my girls ever have anything like that, but then again, they always visit the vets immediately after the birthing is over for a check-up and to make sure all the puppies and/or afterbirths have been expelled. If you haven't had this done you should get her examined immediately before the pups end up dying. She may have a serious infection which will travel thru her milk and affect the babies.

Bianca

It sounds like you have a lot of health/medical questions about your dog and her new pups. The best way to find the answers is to take them all in to the vet for a post-whelping exam. The vet can examine the pups and make sure they are healthy, and check over the mom to make sure she has delivered them all and hasn't retained any puppies or placentas. The vet can also check over mom to be sure she is healthy and strong enough to nurse the puppies and doesn't have an infection that could make them all sick.

Your vet can also give you a schedule of what vaccinations, worming, etc. are needed and how much they cost.

Good Luck! I'm sure your vet can help you with all of your questions.

Bianca answered on 8/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

some very good answers
I wouldn't think it is not unlikely, the dog could of been in labor for awhile or the dog became overheated during whelping.
I would say also the dog needs some after care now and see if she is fine. I would have her examined and her temperature taken to make sure no infection or pups are in there.
good luck Annie