Is it normal for a 16 year old dog to vomit bile regularly?

My 16 year old chx mix has been vomitting yellow bile for the last few weeks. At first it was a few times a week. Now it is a few times a day. He is old and the vet said he is living on borrowed time although he has always been quite healthy.

He seems to feel ok and there is no indication he is sick although I have noticed he doesnt hear as well as he use to.

I have had him since he was 8 weeks old and I am feeling very stressed about this. I do not think spending lots of money on tests at this point would be that helpful.

What do you think? Is this part of aging for old dogs? Can I give him antacids to help a bit?

I love him so much and I do not want him to suffer. Yet he seems like his normal self most of the time. It's hard to know...

Please advise. Thank you so much for your help.

Asked by Member 989716 on Jun 1st 2010 Tagged vomit, yellowbile, antacid, senior in Senior Pet

Answers

Jinjo *Stumpy of the Wild*

First, call you vet, that should be free, and just ask about "what" antacid you can try for your friend. That way, if one isn't working you know of another brand that's safe to use. Make sure if you use a liquid, ones like Pepto have aspirin in them, as well as artificial sweeteners, you DO NOT want to give those to your dog. You could start simply with half a tums.
Next, you should try to bland your dogs diet down. Do not worry at this point about nutrition, especially since you've already been given "borrowed time" lecture. Boiled chicken or beef mixed with rice and green beans in a blender is a good one that works from mines "off tummy days".

Jinjo *Stumpy of the Wild* answered on 6/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sorry to hear this. It has to be hard. I know I wish they lived forever. We love them so much it is hard to see them sick. hugs.
Have you asked the vet is there any dietary or any meds that would help with nausea?
Sorry that is happening. Have you tried any canned foods. When my babies are sick I get the Innova puppy food. It has potatoes and carrots with beef in it. They love it. It is easy to digest. That might help some.
They also make Blu-lite. You can find that at rayallen.com
I bought it for the hot months or it is good for old sick dogs, it gives some extra boost for hydration.
good luck...

Ikan

I would not use antacids uless the vet tells you it is fine. The food may be to rich for the older dog. You may want to look for a formula with limited ingrediants in it or sensite stomach. It is sad when our dogs get older and start to go downhill. But you just have to love them and be thankful each day they are here with us. Best of luck to both of you.

Ikan answered on 6/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer