TRIXIE

is it normal for 1 week old puppies to develop sores on their back. was told this was cause the mom didnt clean them wel

i was given a preg. dachshund (the owners decided they didn't want puppies after all and she just broke my heart i am trying to do good by her and give the puppies a fighting chance.) her puppies are now 1 week old and are developing some soreson their backs .the vet says that some sores are common from having a large litter and the mom not cleaning them good . does anyone have any advise or experience with this?

Asked by TRIXIE on May 18th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

No, I have never heard or seen that before.
If the mother dog has something wrong with her uterus, like it is infected or she has some vaginal infection I think it could be possible for the litter to develop baterial infections. yes.
but I would not think her not licking the babies are the cause.
Rinse the sores with warm water and clean wash cloth, keep an eye on the sores.
Also keep eye on mom for being sick or any foul smell coming from her or the babies.
I would say a second opinion from another vet is in order. Take mom and babies to another place.

Dieta answered on May 18th.

Answers

I looked at Trixie profile and her arrival story states you were given Trixie because the owners had no time and had problems with house training, nothing about being pregnant.
These are your words....
TRIXIE CAME TO BE WITH US BECAUSE HER FORMER OWNER HAD NO TIME TO SPEND WITH HER PLUS HE COULD NOT SEEM TO GET HER HOUSE TRIANED AND SINCE WE HAD TWO OTHER WEENIE DOGS ALREADY HE ASKED US IF WE WOULD LIKE TO TAKE HER. WE SAID WE WOULD ON A TRIAL BASIS (HOUSE TRAINING IS A MUST IN OUR HOME) IT WAS A TRIALING FIRST FEW MONTHS BUT I THINK SHE HAS COME AROUND WONDERFULLY!!! WE ARE SO GLAD TO HAVE HER . SHE IS THE FIRST FEMALE WE HAVE EVER HAD SO WE ARE IN A LEARNING PROCESS EVERY DAY ..

I also noticed you have 2 other dachshunds both male. HHMMMMM....
I think maybe you just don't want to be bashed about allowing a 1 year old female to have puppies. Shame on you.

Here's an article on puppies:
www.chelsea
You'll have to clean some of the puppies yourself if she will not. Sounds like her maternal instincts haven't kicked in, which makes sense since--according to her profile--she's only a year old.

Poor girl. Her old owner's giving her back to you are exactly why one needs to know what they are getting into before getting a dog. Deogie has a good point though. Your profile implies that you've had her for a few months. Canine pregnancy lasts for two months, so I'd have to agree with the conclusion that you are stretching the truth here. Why the lie? We don't bite, though we do put things rather bluntly. We only want to help, and educate on proper dog care and breeding.
cookiemiller.tripod.com