Jane

Is it necessary to take puppy out in the middle of the night?

She's two months old, and is slowly learning how to go potty outside. She still has accidents on the carpet, but she will go outside if she happens to have to while she's out there (and then gets treats!). It doesn't seem like she's too good at holding it though... it just comes out when she's walking around the house. At night, I leave a puppy pad in her crate and she uses it if she has to. Is it completely necessary to wake up in the middle of the night to take her outside? I don't really mind doing it, but I'm mostly wondering when she'll be old enough to be expected to hold it for the night (for 7-8 hours). Advice?

Asked by Jane on Oct 18th 2012 Tagged bostonterrier, crate, training, potty, pee, poop, whining, whine, ignore in Housebreaking

Answers

Dahlia

At two months, YES! Her bladder is not that big, and you need to set her up for success in potty training. If you do the work now, it'll save you a lot of headaches in the future.

I'd reccommend taking her out every two hours, give her a potty command, and praise the heck out of her when she goes. Use the two hour rule during the day, as well; also after eating.sleeping, and playing. You never want your pup to think it's OK to pee in the house. Just be consistant.

Dahlia answered on 10/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Jane..I see you have tons of questions. That is great! We would love to help you out. May I suggest you post on the main Forums, in the Puppy Place forum. That way we can get a dialogue going..all in one place. We can ask for more info, & you can reply.
Here in Answers, you can only post once, & we can only reply once.
Dahlia gave you good advice on the potty issue. Yes..you need to take her out in the middle of the night. Remove the pee pad from the crate. Dogs should not spoil where they sleep, which is why crate training can be an excellent tool. Giving her a pee pad sends her confusing messages.

Becca

The capacity of any dog often changes from time to time, and yes, puppies don't have the same abilities as adults. Regularity is the answer, but I'm not sure why you're concerned, given that you've incarcerated it. If you put a Pad in it's crate, did you not expect it to use it ?

Becca answered on 10/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiara

I think this would help in the potty training, the faster they get the idea to go outside , the better. I know it is a pain, but I would rather get up myself , then have to clean up a mess in the morning.

Tiara answered on 10/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer