Golden

Is it illegal to allow my dog to poop?

My elderly mother(DVM) and her likewise elderly dog, Golden, were cussed out by a neighbor who suspected the dog was currently pooping on his yard. I myself have been aggressively confronted by neighbors three time, twice when my dog was just walking by their grass and once while I was in the act of cleaning up the poop (band in-hand and bent down). To note, we always clean up after our dogs. Is it actually illegal to walk your dog in the neighborhood on the grass? Do we have any right to? As it is I am too paranoid to walk on anything but the asphalt in the middle of the road and do not allow my dog to sniff or go on anything. We have to wait until we return home to our own yard.

Asked by Golden on Mar 4th 2013 Tagged neighborneighborslawlawsaggressionaggressiveyardyards in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Josie *Forever in Our Hearts*

I have to say I do get annoyed when people allow their dogs to poop in my yard, especially since most do not pick it up.

When I walk my dogs we stay on the sidewalk and I let them go on public grass, not the property of my neighbors.

Josie *Forever in Our Hearts* answered on 3/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with Jones. Nothing is more annoying than when people walk their dogs on MY lawn, allowing them to pee and poop at will. Even picked up doesn't help much since the urine will still leave burned spots. I go barefoot lots and even picked up, some poop is always left which gets stepped in.
My dogs do not pee and poop along the edges of my lawn and I don't appreciate when someone else lets their dog go there.
I don't know if it's illegal or not, but it is certainly not very respectful of your neighbors.

Wilbur

It is illegal to allow your dog to roam hence it can not or should not poop on the neighbors lawn. Your mother needs to keep the dog on a leash or fence in the yard so the dog can not wander around. Of course the neighbor needs to have proof that it is your mothers dog and if he succeeds in proving that he can call animal control and you mother will be fined, if it happens again they can and will take the dog away. Of course the law varies from state to state so I would call animal control or the police and ask exactly what the law is in your area.

Wilbur answered on 4/18/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beauty and Nala

It is not illegal for your dog to poop..... HOWEVER it is illegal to leave it there in some states. Just be sure to clean it up and watch for signs that say where he can and can not go. If your neighbor is being a beast don't engage him... hold your poop bag high and walk away.. on the other side of the coin if said neighbor is being "aggressive" especially to your elderly mother you may want to contact law enforcement just to have it documented that you are doing the right thing and he wants to pick a fight. Best of luck to you.

Beauty and Nala answered on 11/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer