Drogo

Is it good for dogs to chase birds?

Drogo chases birds around the yard but so far he has only caught one, it doesn't bother me (actually it has kind of helped because we had a plague) should I stop him? I think that keeps him pretty entertained while I'm not at home.

Asked by Drogo on Feb 7th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Ikan

My dogs go after birds all the time. I would make sure they are up on shots and watch that they do not get sick if they eat them. I just mostly worry about them getting worms if they did eat them

Ikan answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think it is OK for Drogo to chase birds in the yard...but yes, make sure he doesn't get sick if he catches a sick one.

Also, be careful when you take him out on walks, you don't want him running after a bird without your permission just because he is used to doing it in the backyard. It could be very dangerous if he crosses streets.

The following article teaches you how to train your dog to look at you for permission before doing anything rush.
<a href="www.dog-training-excellence.com/stop-dog-from-chasing.html">Teach your dog to ask for permission.</a>

Have fun chasing birds in the backyard! :)