Is it bad for dogs to eat old meat?

I have a 9lb yorkie and she was in the car with me. I ran into my office and came back find her finishing off 1/2 lb of old buffalo turkey. The turkey was about a week over due and had been sitting out for about 5 hours. She hasn't thrown up or anything yet. I don't think she managed to eat any of the wrapping. Should I take her to the vet tomorrow or should I just wait to see how she handles it. She ate it about 45 minutes ago. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1111918 on May 21st 2012 Tagged food in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would just wait and see. If she seems to be in distress, sure, take her to the vet, but keep in mind, dogs can eat much nastier stuff than humans and rarely get sick from it. They have stronger stomach acid (which neutralizes some bacteria) and a shorter digestion time (so bacteria don't have time to multiply in the gut) because of their evolutionary history as carnivores/scavengers. Wild carnivores often cache meat and eat it days or even weeks later, and dogs have a long history of being garbage-dump dwellers in human settlements.

So I would not worry too much about your girl. At worst, I would suspect vomiting or diarrhea if she gets an upset stomach, and then she'd be fine after getting it out of her system.

She should be fine. Dogs are a lot more resilient than people are when it comes to things like this. In fact, I would have had no qualms feeding that meat to my dog, as long as it wasn't rotting.

Tiara

except for maybe a bit of an up set tummy, I do nto think this is anything to worry about at all. Dogs have been know to eat meat and other things that we can not.

Tiara answered on 5/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer