Is it bad for dogs to drink pee?

My dog went into the bathroom yesterday because I forgot to give her water, and someone forgot to flush... Is it dangerous for my dog to drink pee?

Asked by Member 902414 on Oct 18th 2009 Tagged isisdangerousfordogtodrinkpeehealthandwellnessboxer in Health & Wellness

Answers

Princess

As long as you havn't drank alcohol or anything that would've caused problems if your dog had drank it directly, it shouldn't be a problem...

Hope this helps!!
Princess, the lovable chihuahua

Princess answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Probably not. Urine comes out of the body sterile, and you'd have to have ingested a very large amount of a toxin or alcohol to have it effect the "drinkee" later on. The bacteria in urine comes from being exposed to air and surfaces, such as the inside of the toilet and being there for some time.

What CAN hurt her is dehydration and drinking from a toilet can contribute to that because urine contains a great deal of salt, so it can make things worse, actually. One day is probably ok, but obviously (and I know you know this!) this isn't the ideal situation to happen again.

Please make sure she has access to fresh water every day. If you are prone to forgetting, I'd recommend leaving two bowls around the house that she can get to, that way you can be fairly sure that even if you forget to fill one bowl up, you will probably have the other filled up.

Personally, I change the water every day and wash the bowls every few days in hot soapy water.

:-)

Well if you watch that survivor guy on tv, he is always drinking his own pee. Gross but will not hurt the dog.