is it a healt risk putting my seven pitbull puppies in the same kennel with a dirt floor

Asked by Member 1156114 on Feb 20th 2013 in Puppies

Answers

How old are they and why is the floor dirt?

The problems with dirt as a base for a kennel are that it is impossible to clean and disinfect. Even though you can pick up each bowel movement as it occurs, there will be traces left in the dirt and many parasite eggs will flourish in those conditions!
It is also impossible to pick up urine so you may find the area is chronically smelly and offensive.
My adults have dirt based dog yards but I have several and they are huge so by picking up feces daily, rotating every six weeks or more weeks to rest them, they are always kept fresh and clean smelling. Also, since they are small dogs, they are only outside when I am out and I don't have to worry about predators or thieves.
Ideally, a thick base of crushed rock or pea gravel with adequate drainage underneath will help keep them cleaner and dryer as well as smell better. Crush rock/pea stone can be hosed as often as necessary and with proper drainage can also even be disinfected daily to keep parasites and diseases at bay.