Is IAMS really that bad?

I've read so many complaints about this particular brand. And it seems that they are really exaggerating. My vet even told me Iams was fine. So I really don't know who to believe. And Bizket loves his MiniChunks...

Asked by Member 840124 on Jun 16th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Take a look at the ingredients sometime, and keep in mind that dogs are carnivores. They have chicken as the first ingredient, but honestly chicken is very watery, by the time the food is cooked, chicken is not enough in the majority to be the main ingredient. Still, this does make it better than other grocery store dog food crap.
As for vets, they are not canine nutrition experts. They get their nutrition info from the dog food companies, who push their own agenda.
Still, you need to do your own research and give both sides a good, hard look.
Sites I recommend are dogfoodproject.com and dogfoodanalysis.com.
Personally, I abandoned commercial pet food of my full support several months ago. Even the better brands like Solid Gold and Blue Buffalo aren't perfect. The best diet I've come across so far is a home-prepared raw diet, which does require lots of research to feed a balanced meal. Too bad I can only afford to feed it to one of my two dogs...

To expand on what the PP said... Chicken is inclusive of about 80% water content. Once that water is removed during processing, then the amount of actual chicken in the food is very minimal.
I also don't like to see the use of by-products or corn in a food. It's not that they are BAD for the dog, it's that they are of no value. Sorry, but my dog is a DOG, not a cow, and doesn't need corn.
For the cost, you can get better, meatier foods that your dog will love even more.
Also, check out this thread... www.dogster.com

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Katie

Hi there!

I agree with the other posts regarding ingredients, and would like to add that (as with doctors in the human world), most veterinarians are not specifically trained on optimal nutrition as part of their medical studies. Just as we have human dietitians who specialize in nutrition, you can find veterinary dietitians with special training - but if your vet hasn't received extra education, he/she will probably think that Iams is just fine.

Aside from the nutritional aspects, there have also been concerns about the treatment of animals in Iams' labs; in fact, many individuals and shelters have boycotted Iams based on the investigative work by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). I would rather not post a link to their undercover video because it's too hard to watch, but suffice it to say, I would not buy Iams for my dog, for nutritional and ethical reasons.

Hope this helps! Katie does love Wellness, Taste of the Wild, and Solid Gold brands of dog food.

Katie answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Loopy

IAMS may not be bad for your dog healthwise, but they're still somebody I would never buy dog food from. They are very cruel to animals. Check out iamscruelty.com

Loopy answered on 6/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My guess is that 99% of what you read on the net about dog food is opinion uncontaminated by facts and logic. It is like Aristotle and Galileo. Aristotle though about it, and declared heavier objects fall faster then light ones. For most of the next 2000 years, educated people knew that. Then at the dawn of modern science, Galileo lugged the large and small balls up the the tower of Pisa, and dropped them off. They hadn't read Aristotle, and both hit the ground at the same time. I am afraid the dog world is full of thinkers. Most of my answers are based on my own results trying what I have been taught by the best there is.

I have volunteered for service dog schools since 1991. Nobody knows more about dog care or has more incentive to do whatever they can to extend the active life of the dogs they spend $20,000-$50,000 to train. I know these people. They are not brain dead. They feed several different common brands with Iams being the most popular.