Is eating Cedar trees (not the chips or mutch) dangerous?

My friend's dog recently ate 2 branchs straight off thier cedar tree. This ended up with an Emergancy vet visit. The vet said that cedar is poisonous to dogs. do you know any sites that have info coobrating this information?

Asked by Member 302508 on Sep 8th 2010 Tagged cedar, allergies, dangerous in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Butters

www.justanswer.com

The link I posted is to a site for asking veterinarians questions, and someone had a similar question as yours. This is all I could find on the toxicity of cedar.

I did find on other pages that cedar oil (which is used as a flea repellant) is linked to cause an epileptic dog to convulse. Not sure if actual cedar mulch, trees, etc would have the same effect.

Butters answered on 9/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

that is true.
also, most people don't know that the treated lumber we build our decks out of are extremely dangerous if consumed.
I would search out a list for your friend of environmental dangers in case the dog is a chewer.
Many things, like wild cherries are poisionous as well.
p.s. that's why I won't buy cedar dog beds. They sell them because it repeals fleas, but I think if your dog already has fleas it won't help. :)

Zackintosh CJ

I guess it depends on if the dog waas chewing on the tree, or actually consumed part of it.
We have a TON of cedar trees at my house, Zack has always chewed on them. The ones up in his pen have no bark on the parts he can reach. He doesn't actually EAT it, he just pulls it off the tree and/or chews on it
I don't know if its poisonous or not, but Zack's never had a problem.
Its dangrous for a dog that actually EATS the tree, any tree.
I'd try to keep the dog supervised when around trees, maybe train him to leave them alone. I'm sure it's not too great for the tree to get eaten up by a dog anyway!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 9/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer