Is comfortis safe?

My vet just prescribed Comfortis for my dog's fleas. I have been reading some very bad things about it though.

Asked by Member 1007785 on Oct 13th 2010 in Other Pet Products

Answers

What ever the vet gives your mom is a perscription, so its safe if its from the vet. But local stores might have bad things for fleas but you will have to read the things it has in it

Now i neve heard about Comfortis flea medicine, but the vet gives it to you its fine to use it. What ppl tell you can be wrong and no one knows if its bad for dogs LIKE DOG FOOD etc.

Hope this helped:D!!

I am not that familiar with it, but I do know that my vet will not prescribe it yet. He always waits a couple of years when something new and "great" like this comes out. He believes testing of these drugs for dogs is not done long enough or with enough dogs to actually test the reactions, and the drug companies tend to test new products by releasing them and waiting to see what happens. I agree and I don't want to have one of my dogs be the one with the reaction!

Just because a vet recommends something doesn't make it a-okay, IMO, (especially since they'll disagree among themselves about products and even some aspects of proper canine health care) but that a vet will prescribe something means it PROBABLY will not cause any direct or immediate harm.
That said, BE CAREFUL. There have been some pretty bad vets out there saying things that obviously aren't true.

But yeah, I am using comfortis right now at my vet's recommendation. Mostly because we've been having flea troubles this year and the stuff we normally use didn't seem to help much for the infestation we had. We've also treated the entire house with flea spray and powder.

Greta Grace

Yes, overall, Comfortis is safe. It is very effective, too. However, if your dog is prone to seizures at all, do not give it to him. My brofur Roudy and I both took it last summer, and I had no problems with it, but Roudy started having head tremors every now and then, so we didn't take it anymore. No matter what you give them, you always have to be vigilent.

Greta Grace answered on 11/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer