Buzz

Is bread crust bad for dogs?

On the weekdays I always have a sandwich for lunch. But the thing is i've grown picky over it but I don't want to throw it away. So I was thinking of giving them to my dogs. But then I thought is it bad for them? Or will it make them not like dog food anymore? Please help. I don't know if I should give it or not.

Asked by Buzz on Nov 27th 2011 Tagged breadcrusts, jackrussell, shistzu in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Kc

No I think you are okay. Sometimes if we run out of kibble, I give bread in milk. Kc really like bread but I try not to do it very often 'cause grain is not all that healthy but it isn't bad.

Kc answered on 11/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bread is fine for dogs. Overweight dogs don't need extra carbs, but normal ones can handle it. Most dogs are happy to eat anything and still love kibble no matter how many snacks you give. (If you have a picky eater you would probably know it already.) Just don't give so much extra stuff that it unbalances their diet or makes them fat.

Before commercial dog food was invented, most dogs ate nothing BUT bread crusts and other food scraps.

I try to avoid too many grains in my dog's diet, but, no, bread crusts are okay as snacks.

Yes, it's fine to give your dog bread crust. However, like Bruno stated above, overweight dogs don't need the extra carbs. Bread, which most have grains can cause a lot of health problems and allergies.