Boe Rochon

Is biting to protect food normal of a rat terrior?

My dog I just love him so much and he is so cute and sweet but their are times that he is so bad. It like he feels he can do whatever he wants and is very spoiled. He barks that all stranger who aren't even bothering him. I am worried. He tried to bite my neice cause she tried to mess with food he was eating. What is wrong with him. He doesn't listen to me and he gets away with everything. When I fuss at him he barks at me. He still tries to chew my hands He only comes to me when I talk like a baby to him. When he plays with something he knows I don't want him to have he take it and runs under the sofa and I can't get him to want to use the bathroom outside he does it on the carpet. This is my first dog and I don't know anything about training. I know that I love him so much he is like a real child to me.

Asked by Boe Rochon on Nov 8th 2007 Tagged dogbadbehavior in Behavior & Training

Answers

Google food aggression, and resource guarding. These are 2 problems it sounds like Boe has. Please try and nip them in the bud before they escalate further - the fact that he tried to bite a person already is very telling.

Also look up NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free. This may help in some areas. He has to work for everything in life, and he has to learn that all good things come from you, so he has to respect you and behave in order to get those things. NILIF involves really simple stuff - make him sit and wait before you put his dinner down, give him a treat, let him outside, etc. He needs a strong leader that he can trust.

I highly recommend basic obedience classes. I took both of my dogs to classes at our local SPCA for a very reasonable $85 for an 8 week course. Look for training facilities in your area, or see if your SPCA offers training classes. Chain stores like PetSmart have them as well. Training will help you understand how to work with your dog and increase your bond.

You just got a terrific answer from the first doggie who responded to your question!

I'd only add my opinion that this is a problem that you need to get to the bottom of quickly, before it becomes something harder to deal with.

Resource guarding is something that can be corrected with consistent training.

If you don't correct this behavior, this dog WILL bite a person and you will ultimately be responsible for this.

You really owe it to yourself and your dog to get this straightened out.

If you don't know too much about dogs, please seek the advice of a professional dog trainer or behavioralist. In order to help your puppy, you need to be able to understand how to do that.

If cost is an issue, ask your local animal shelter for ideas about low cost trainers or trainers who work with you on a sliding fee scale.

This is one thing that is definitely worth the investment.

KIRBY

My Rat Terrier is also food "protective" Not really agressive though. He scarfs his food so fast that none of the other dogs would have much of a chance to get to his before they finish theirs. Also have a German Shepard pup, 10 Week Pomeranian and a 2 yr.Pom;.

KIRBY answered on 11/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer