Is an 8 pound Chihuahua considered to be overweight?

I have Chihuahua who's a year old. We've already been to the vet and they say he is in great shape. His weight is 8 pounds, so I'm wondering is that overweight for a Chihuahua. If so I want to do something about before it gets out of control.

Thanks

Asked by Member 1079495 on Apr 22nd 2012 Tagged overweight, chihuahua, dog, puppy, obese, obesity, exercise in Obesity

Answers

Chase

Judging from your pictures he doesn't seem like he's overweight, and if your vet said he's fine he probably is.

Chase answered on 4/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

He looks very healthy. You shouldn't worry about if your dog is heavier/lighter than 'breed standards'... each dog will vary individually. I know a purebred Chihuahua who's very very healthy weight would be about 10lbs.... sadly the lil guy is 17lbs and pathetic looking currently...

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer