Max

Information on Pomeranians?

I currently own a senior lab. I am a university student in my third year and live at home with my parents. I am thinking of getting a pomeranian as my next dog, because I am wanting a small dog and these guys look and sound very endearing to me.

This dog will have a minimum of 45 minutes of exercise every day... my mom loves to go on her 20 minute walks with my senior lab, Max, so this guy would most likely join. I always like to take Max on a 30 minute walk either after school or in the evening. In addition, he would get lots of play time. My mom is a stay at home mom, and so I would have lots of help with potty training. This will be technically "our" dog, not just mine, because my mom wants another dog too.

The only thing about poms I am worried about is that I've heard they're very yappy. Is it possible to have a non-yappy pom? I am also wondering about the shedding. My lab sheds a lot, wonder if the amount is equal, more or less then a pom shedding.

Thank you

Asked by Max on Nov 7th 2012 in Pomeranian

Answers

Layla Lu

Yappy? It honestly depends on the dog! Some dogs are calm and some dogs have SO much energy! Lol but a more reliable way to ensure your pom isn't so yappy would be to get mix pom. Usually mixes are the best of a certain breed, poms in this case, but tend to have less health issues and are less yappy or aggressive. I know from lots of experience so trust me lol! I have two chihuahua mixes, barely hear a bark out of them and they're the sweetest little things. Ps it also depends on the way you bring them up(:

Shedding? EXTREMELY!!! Wow, a lot a lot of shedding LOL. Grooming is a must with these fur balls. I have a lab and can almost gaurentee poms shed more by far, especially if not accasionaly brushed.

Exercise? These dogs are mostly balls of energy, depending on the dogs personality, but overal poms are energetic little dogs. But still they're so small exercise is not as essential to a larger dog. 45 minutes would be great.

They're great dogs best of luck!

Layla Lu answered on 11/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Melodee

Do you have enough time to keep this breed brushed and matt free? My Grandpa's pom required allot of brushing. If not I would suggest a small breed with short fur, or a breed that doesn't shed, and can be shaved.

Melodee answered on 11/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer