Rex (aka Wrecks)

Inexpensive grain-free food?

Because of chronic ear infections, I want to keep my Rex on a grain-free kibble, but Taste Of The Wild is so expensive! Like trying to keep organic for humans, eating healthy is almost totally unaffordable! Any ideas?
(I have started putting cooked chicken in with his dinner...I am not comfortable with jumping into RAW though, yet.)

Asked by Rex (aka Wrecks) on Jan 8th 2011 in Pet Food

Answers

I feed Orijen dog food, it's the best dog food out there. I'm glad that you have chosen to feed your dog a good dog food.

Here is the Orijen website -

www.orijen.ca

Don't forget, you will be feeding way, way less of a grain free vs regular grocery store dog foods. In the end, TOTW ended up costing me LESS than foods like Purina Pro Plan when fed to my labs and the food is SO MUCH better.

King Jackal Jackson

To answer YOUR questions... :)

Nature's Domain is a grain free food also made by Diamond and sold at Costco for less than TOTW.

King Jackal Jackson answered on 1/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TOTW is actually the cheapest grain-free kibble I know of. After three years of feeding meat-based kibbles I honestly no longer consider it expensive. xD
But yes, I feel your pain: eating as healthy as we'd like is totally impossible for the human members of my family, myself included. We can't afford organic, etc. (And also we're attracted to junk food waaay too much to give it up...) But, eh, at least we can get all the basic food groups at the grocery store. =)

If you ever do get interested in feeding raw, check out Gio's thread "So you are interested in starting raw..." for starters. Raw is where the most dramatic diet-related health differences (in dogs) are seen, and I've seen that for myself.

Wysong is coming out with grain free, but I don't know how much.
Orijen will empty your pocket, it is very expensive.
There is another grain free, but I don't know the name now.
I wouldn't buy Diamond.
Raw is grain free, my two dogs love it.

J.J.

The Nutro Company just introduced a new Grain-Free line of food. They have a Venison/Potato, a Turkey/Potato, and a Lamb/Potato Large Breed Adult formula, so even the pickiest dog should have a flavor there that he likes.

J.J. answered on 3/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer