Indoors my 4 year old adopted Yorkie does not come when I call her. She appears afraid of me.

I adopted Tiffy 2 years ago. I immediately noticed that she cowered on the floor and sometimes appeared afraid of me. I thought this behavior would go away once she became familar with her new owner and new home. But this has not been the case. I do not yell, hit nor mis-treat her. I am gentle and patient but I'm wondering if she might have been abused in some way that now causes this behavior. When we go for our walks she does not demonstrate the same behaviors. When walking she comes when I call her and she stays very close to me. What can I do to help her relax, and know that she doesn't need to fear me? I watch the "Dog Whisperer" but none of his techniques have helped. How do I earn her trust?

Asked by Member 819349 on Mar 24th 2009 in Fears & Phobias

Best Answer

Princess

Hello,

I agree with you that I think that Tiffy had been abused in some way in the past. To help with that you can do a procedure called louring--

1. Get some treats and put your dog on a leash
2. Sit or stand leash length away from your dog
3. Get a treat out and call your dog (make sure that you use the same command that you would while calling her.
Ex: "Come" instead of saying "come" one time and "here" the next)
4. If your dog dosn't automatically come towards you, then pull SLIGHTLY until she is reeled in.
5. Make sure and encourage her even if she only takes one step towards you.
6. When she gets to you, say come, give her the treat, and then praise her
7. Reapeat this until she comes COMPLETLY out of her fearness
8. This may take some time so you should be patient with her.

BTW: Only call her for something that is rewarding

DON"T call Tiffy to you for something that is unpleasent like the vet or a time-out

Hope this helps!
Princess, the lovable chihuahua

Princess answered on Mar 24th.

Answers

Sparky

Try bulding a bond with her. Pet her and love on her, and eventually she will warm up to you. That happened with Sparky, he was very nervous for quite a while, but we played with him and we loved on him, and now he loves us like crazy!!

Sparky answered on 3/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do NOT use the Dog Whisperer techniques!...Especially on a timid dog!...That is just setting you & your dog up for failure!
Have you tried sitting or even lying on the floor & getting down to her level?...Feed her treats while doing this & talk to her kindly...Let her take the lead on your interactions with her.

From what you are saying sounds like she was hit after someone came home. Perhaps when she was going through puppy hood and chewing someone use to hit her.
So, when you are home, try this call her name, and shake food bag or use a whistle. Maybe even a bell. Use something in the house she can be retrained with. Her being called to come is bad to her. So you have to work around it. When she does come toss food like real cooked meat and turn around with no eye contact. If you turn around and she is there throw food and turn around away from her again. Be slow and calm.
Do that everyday.
Then, when she is sure on coming. Then mix it up walk a few steps away and if she takes any steps toss her food right away.
You need to work with her and she will change. But, a simple obedience book.
I haven't seen any true help in dog whisperer.
You need a clear book. There are many out there and some are vague.
Her cowering could be fear, submissiveness, or past flash back.

♥Angel Sasha ♥

A dog can act like this from poor socialization, it does not mean she has been abused. The Dog Whisperer would tell you not to feel "sorry" for her, and I agree- try stay relaxed & patient when you work with her.

♥Angel Sasha ♥ answered on 3/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer