♥ Babe ♥

inbred dogs???

shortly after we got babe from my neighbor, she called us and said she made a mistake from not looking at the studs (babes father) papers and that she bred jenivieve (babes mom) to cody (jenivieve's brother) so it was a sister-brother breeding, ugh..i know just another BYB breeding with no experience, it makes me mad just to think about it.

we love babe anyway she is..infact we couldn't love her even more! she is a golden retriever. i have no idea how long she could live being inbred. she is 5 years old. do you have experience with inbreds? did you own one? does a friend/family member have have an inbred dog? how long did it live? i just want to know an estimated age. she has been through alot she has arthritas and the vet said she is going to have hip displasia, she also had an intestinal blockage and surgery on that, and she had surgery on her knee for an ACL tear and a staff infection. just let me know!

thanks!

Asked by ♥ Babe ♥ on Feb 13th 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Hector

I don't think there is a life expectancy on inbred dogs, but I have read that what ever the breed is naturally prone to, almost doubles in inbred dogs, henceforth, the problems she has already encountered.

Do some online research about hip displaysia, as there are many things now, that can help with that. Especially since your dog has been pre-diagnosed with it. Your vet should already be helping you with that. If not, get another vet, as there are alot of options now.

It would be very difficult to get an estimated age limit for your dog, as it just depends on what goes wrong with her and at what time, but I don't think there is anything that states she will expire at any given time. So keep taking great care of her and don't expect her to just die at a certain age. Tend to her ailments and who knows, you could have many more years with your beautiful babe.

Best of luck to you and Babe

Hector answered on 2/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I don't think inbred has much to do with life span. As you have mentioned with your Babe, she has a list of medical problems, which is typical for inbred dogs. I've never had one that I know of.
Unfortunately, there are irresponsible people out there and that should have never happened. It does sound like Babe has a very good home. She is very lucky. Good Luck!

If your dog has HD that is going to also bring on other things such as arthritus.
This is a case of where a breeder should see if his or hers Stock has HD. No dog should be bred that has it, never.

The ACL is an injury. The blockage I am assuming is something she ate?
Those are things with no connection to the inbreeding.

Even HD is not an inbreeding thing. But, the HD stock is.

Staff infections are also caused by the Staff microrobe. Or coming in contact with an infected animal.

Every estimated dogs age is just that. Your dog could live to be 15 yrs old or 9 yrs.
There is no way of telling.
I understand what you are going through. in the beginning dealing with bad breeders I know what that can do later.

I have learned to search out breeders way more throughly.
if they can't show proof of hip, elbow, eye certfications or show proof of showing and titles then I don't buy.
But, I also take great joy in saving shelter dogs or recueing animals. So, just enjoy your dog.

A dog either has hip dysplasia or doesn't. Arthritis does not "cause" hip dysplasia, but it certainly is a result of it. Hip dysplasia is a hip that is ill formed and that doesn't sit smoothly or tightly in the hip socket. Thus, this is not something a dog would get at an older age, they would be born with it. Pain from hip dysplasia arises when the ill fitting hip joint causes continual rubbing and wearing down of the joint, AKA arthritis. This condition has been shown to be hereditary, so if both parents have the gene, then your dog is more likely to have it, whether inbred or not. There are also other factors that can affect hip joints. Those other conditions you mention would not result from inbreeding, except possibly the ACL, which may or may not. Inbreeding just doubles the bad genes IF they are already present in either parent. If both parents had no bad genes, she would have no increased disease risk, however it would be most unlikely that they weren't carrying some.

ALL PUREBRED DOGS ARE INBRED SOME WHERE DOWN THE LINE. AS LONG AS THE MOTHER AND FATHER DON'T HAVE ANY GENETIC PROBLEMS SHE WILL BE FINE. YOU CAN LOOK IT UP AT INBREEDING-WIKIPEDIA,THE FREE ENCYCLOPEDIA IT WILL TELL YOU A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT IT.The inbreeding is computed as a percentage of chances for two alleles to be identical by descent. This percentage is called "inbreeding coefficient". There are several methods to compute this percentage, the two main ways are the path method[9] [1] and the tabular method[10] [2].[unreliable source?]

Typical inbreeding percentages are as follows:[dubious – discuss]

* Father/daughter – mother/son – brother/sister → 25%
* Half-brother/half-sister → 12.5%
* Uncle/niece – aunt/nephew → 12.5%
* Double first cousins → 12.5%
* Half-uncle/niece → 6.25%
* First cousins → 6.25%
* First cousins once removed - half-first cousins → 3.125%
* Second cousins - first cousins twice removed → 1.5625%
* Second cousins once removed - half-second cousins → .78125%

An inbreeding calculation may be used to determine the general genetic distance among relatives by multiplying by 2, because any progeny would have a 1 in 2 risk of actually inheriting the identical alleles from both parents. For instance, the parent/child or sibling/sibling have 50% identical genetics. NOTE: For siblings, the degree of genetic relationship is not an automatic 50% (as it is with parents and their children), but a range from 100% at one extreme – as in the case of identical twins [who obviously could not mate as they are the same sex] – to an exceedingly unlikely 0%. Siblings share an average of 50% of their genes, but unlike the 50% ratio between parents and children, the actual ratio between siblings in any given case can vary.