I'm thinking about getting a Havanese but I'm very concerned about the "separation" issue while I'm at work. I leave at

Asked by Member 999757 on Aug 7th 2010 in Havanese

Answers

Brutus

Your question got cut off. It depends on how many hours you are at work during the day. You shouldn't leave your dog alone for more than 7-8 hours. If you are planning on getting a puppy, thats different. They will need to be let out every few hours. If you are getting a puppy, have someone watch him while you are away or take him to daycare. This would be ideal, even if you are getting an adult dog.

Make sure your dog is comfortable at home. The best way to keep your dog safe if to crate him. Put safe, durable toys in there with him and a soft blanket, towel or bed for sleeping.

Brutus answered on 8/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Our westie has this to, we were told that if you tell your dog you are going out and you wont be long, leave his fav toys around so he can play with them, start by going out waiting 5 mins then coming back, do this several times, leaving it a bit longer each time, this way your dog will know you are coming back and not panic.

Sue

Mountain -2002 to 2009

I love Havanese! They seem to be gaining popularity fast too xD. A few years ago no one had heard of them.
For separation anxiety work on crate training and teaching them that when you leave, you'll come back.

Mountain -2002 to 2009 answered on 8/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer