Im thinking about getting a german shepard and pitbull mix dog?? i need answers to some qestions please help??

Ive been wannting a dog for ever and i found one its half pitbull and half german shepard. what kind of dog would they turn out to be? mena?playful? rough?etc They are free too ??

Asked by Member 773141 on Nov 26th 2008 Tagged dogs, puppies, pitbull, germanshpepard, mixbreed in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chloe

well in my family we had a white shepherd who was one great dog and a friend has a pitbull and it is not mean or rough it is a female and it is very mellow hope this helps,
Chloe

Chloe answered on 11/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a German Shepherd. No breed is aggressive unless the dog are raised wrong. GSDs are playful and so are Pit Bulls, so you'd have a high energy dog. Not giving the dog enough exercise could cause many behavioral problems.
Rough? Not if you set up boundaries and enforce the rules.
GSDs shed all year long, and are great guard dogs. A Pit Bull owner told me that Pits are so friendly they make terrible watch dogs in general.
A mixture may be more like one breed than the other, or a little of both.
Find out more on both breeds in these links:
German Shepherds:
en.wikipedia.org
www.dogbreedinfo.com

Pit Bulls:
en.wikipedia.org
www.dogbreedinfo.com
www.pitbulllovers.com

Best of luck!

If you are not sure, don't rush into it, there will be plenty of dogs with pitt or shepherd in them at local shelters whenever you look.

i love both breeds but the dog will require good training to make sure it is a friendly and well-adjusted pet. If this is your fist dog, I would definitely take a socialization and training class with your pup.

I agree that "mean" dogs come from irresponsible owners, but some breeds are bred to be more aggressive. Both shepherds and pitt bulls CAN be aggressive if you are not careful, but if you put in the time and effort to raise your puppy well and give it lots of love, I am sure you will end up with a great companion.

I have a few concerns with this. First, just because they are free isn't a reason to get a dog. Puppies need vaccines, check-ups, what if you get a sick puppy (it will probably have worms at the very least), spay and neutering (I assume you will be doing this), flea preventives, and proper food. A healthy puppy costs a lot of money, I certainly hope you take the time to realize in the end puppies are not free. Second, you have no idea what the temperaments of Mom and Dad are like. If you have 2 aggressive dogs your more than likely to have an aggressive dog. Genetics play a huge part in the way a dog will turn out and if you are not properly prepared to train this dog you may have huge problems on your hands. And third and the most important issue I have is, in no way should anyone support back yard breeders. Go to your local shelter and help a dog there.

Do you have the ability to meet both the mother and father of this litter? If so, that can be a good indicator as to what you may expect the pups to be when they grow up, in terms of temperament.

Temperament is largely genetic, so you can produce dogs that are skittish, nervy, even aggressive if the parents are. If that's the case, socialization and training will only get you so far, because of the genetic factor.

GSDs are very intelligent, very energetic dogs, and as such, require a lot of time, exercise, and training. They can be quite difficult if they are dominant, pushy and intelligent because they will test their boundaries. They are also herders, so you may see a fair amount of herding behavior, including some unwanted behaviors like nipping.

APBTs are also intelligent and energetic. They can be dominant, and they can be dog aggressive. Like GSDs, they usually have high prey drive.

Again, it depends on the parents, but those are some of the "negatives" you may expect.

Deadwyler's Mighty Ceaser

Make sure that you absolutely obedience train this dog. Pit Bulls were bred to have dog aggression and GSD also have guardian traits bred in them which also includes human aggression. That is part of why they make good police and security dogs.
Pit bulls tend to bully you around in play and GSD tend to be real mouthy. So make sure that you curve any unwanted behavior when it starts.
They are both very smart and athletic dogs and working dogs to. So you would have to give the dog lots of exercise and things to do. If not you could have alot of bad behaviors come out including pent up anxiety and aggression. This will more and likely be a large dog to so make sure you have a crate to use for housebreaking. Not one real big just big enough for the pup to turn around and lay down in. Some big crates come with a divider so you can adjust it to meet your dog's size.

Deadwyler's Mighty Ceaser answered on 12/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hope that this response is not to late. I have a pitbull / german shepard mix. He is 11 years old and had him since he was a pup. As with both breeds, he is very determined, playful, energetic, and smart. The pitbull side does come out when he sees other dogs. I have three kids and he is very good with them. I completely trust him with the kids when I am not here. Sadly was diagnosed with Grade 3 cancer a month ago. Now he is spoiled more than ever. If you need more info, dont hesitate to ask

I have a half pure German Shepherd, half pure Pit Bull. The parents of this puppy are huge dogs. I couldn't tell you how those dogs were wit other people, but my puppy has been my companion or my partner sense it was given to me at toooo young of an age but she is now about 4 or 5 months old and already is a BIG dog and she looks healthy but yet still has a lot of skin to grow into. Shes very playful if you get her in the mood but when she needs to chill out she listens. A very obedient dog. I took her over to my dudes house today actually and couldn't take her in and she doesn't like leaving my side very well but I went inside the house leaving her out in a fenced backyard and she jumped the fence and unlike most puppies and run around n shit, she came to the front and into the garage looking for me and sat in front of the door and waited for me to come outside. The first time with my 2 yr old daughter and she played safe wit her.. didn't rough house her.

Well i do have a german shepherd mixed with pitbull and he is the smartest dog ever trust me you will not be dissapointed in the dog my dog is really smart and he listens and he is also really tough and kinda buff but but anyways you should get that dog

I have a pitbull/shepherd mix.It's a male.

He is smart,loyal,playful, and protective when need be.

The only thing you have to think about is...
Will your dog have the cool mindedness of a shepherd or the hardheadedness of a pitbull?

Mine is hardheaded but learns quick.Just be should to socialize and train him early.

i own a german sheperd pitbul mix and i can tell you that i depends on how you raise them they do need discipline but if you take the time out of your life to train it it will be the most loyal doggever my dog bell is 9 months and already knows 8 tricks she is very good with all kids even ones she doesent know. when people come to the door she is very protective twards me and my boyfried, she doesent like when other people come up to us with arms in the air or yelling she wont attack but she will let them know that we are hers and to not touch us she is definatly not mean and loves attention has to be right up your butt all the time she does have some dog aggresion twards dogs she hasen met befor but has never bitten anything or any one very loyal and they want to impres you she tries so hard to do good but all in all she is a very good dog

No, they are not bad. I own one myself. She is 50/50 slip between a German Shepherd and Pitbull. And is a wonderful dog. They are easy to teach, but can be stubborn sometimes. But have a lot of energy. You might want to have a big yard ro go on long walks at least twice a day.

I have a female that just turned a year last month and doesn't seem to be done growing. She was very small and thin when she was young and I didn't think she would get as big as she is which was 60lbs when she last went to the vet last month. She is very muscular now and has filled out a lot as she's gotten older. Her tail is very strong and is like a whip and can clear the coffee table or sting if it hits you.

She has a great personality and is very smart. She is the most affectionate dog I've ever had. Like someone else on here said she always wants to be by me and doesn't need a leash. She has been around kids and lets them hit on her and pull on her and just ignores them or licks them. She loves other dogs and has played with a lot of friends dogs. She plays well with small dogs and puppy's. She will pin them with her elbow and let them bite on her face. I will definitely get another pit/sheppard mix as I've had such a great experience with Mercedes.

I have a male pit/shepard mix. He is about a year old and I absolutely love him. He is VERY energetic and VERY protective. He goes every with me and is always at my side. But since my wife has been pregnant he has really stuck more with her. He plays with our little dog great, but does not like other dogs. Like I said he is very active, but does calm down with my 2 and 4 year old neices. They play fetch with him and even put him in a headlock and he just sits and takes it. I know if anyone ever tried to hurt my wife or me he would absolutely attack them. But friends of ours are friends of his.

well i have one of these shea a beauty.. she is exteamly playful. not agressive at all or rough

BA

the german shepard is a very intelligent breed and protective yet playful while the pit bull is a good breed as well but is easier to turn on you and can cause bad things as the mix can take both of the jeans one side of the breed can take over most of the time would be a mix and have an attitude of a german shepard or a pitbull. Then they could be a mix of a personality of both breeds of course both of the breeds are pretcetive and great guard dogs. While both are in the top 10 most dangerous dog breeds.

BA answered on 11/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a pitbull and half german shepard. I give him lots of love and attention and he is just fine. At first he was a rough puppy because he did not like to be left alone. I got a kennel for him and I do not leave him in it. He will go in it if he has done something bad and I leave the door open. He is very, very, smart. He had jumped out of a truck and the owners never came back for him. He was a puppy when I got him. I am very happy with him. I love and trust him completely.

I was lucky enough to get two sisters that are 50/50 german shephard/Pitbull mix. I got them when they were ready to leave their mother. They are around a year and a half old now, and weigh about 70-80 lbs. They are very affectionate/loving and follow me around all day. Before i got them fixed, in the first year, they fought each other about 5 times. Since they have been fixed, their temperment is much better and they havent fought once. Zoe is tiger brendal with white on her chest, and Precious is a yellowish-white. They are very playfull, energetic, loyal, intelligent and protective. When i sleep on the couch both lay behind me, with their heads resting on me. They are good with kids and our cats. We kennel them at night otherwise they would insist on being on the bed all night and move around too much for my gf to be able to sleep. They can be lose outside, and stay close and obey. They require lots of attention, love and are very obediant, I rarely need to tell them more than once.

I have one named bowser he is 9 weeks and 13 lbs. He is super friendly but he likes to chew on your arm while you scratch he does it gently compared to how he plays with his rope his milk teeth are kinda sharp tho. Im getting him out of that and tryin to get him to quit pulling my 3 year old sons shorts off. But dogs entirely reflect their owner a dog is what you make of it mean dogs dont make themselves visa versa niether do nice ones. Be good to him but still let him know your the boss and youll have an inseparable friend. Ohhh..... and get him lots of stuff to chew on so he doesnt eat your stuff mine already destroys old bicycle tires and anything else you dont tell him not to.