In memory of Scooby

I'm teaching my dog to fetch but he won't do it! I have a treat in my hand and I'll throw the ball and tell him to fetch

Asked by In memory of Scooby on Sep 28th 2008 Tagged fetching in Behavior & Training

Answers

Wait until he's in a playful mood and if he still won't run after it, then get it, tease him with it to make him want it.
Is he food-motivated? If so, the presence of the treat may be distracting him from the ball.

Some dogs just don't like toys.

Jerry Garcia (1995-2008)

well fetching came naturally to me and my friend chloe who is part of my family I passed away my name is jerry garcia but maybe you can try to get your furry friend into it somehow IDK sorry g-luck :)

Jerry Garcia (1995-2008) answered on 9/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Deogie will not play fetch. He never has and I know he never will. I throw something and he just looks at me. I figured why train him to do it, I'd be doing it for myself, not for him.

STEWART'S STARFIRE COLETTE

To teach your dog to fetch, start with the object he loves most. With your dog on a long leash give your dog the command "sit." Take the object and toss it a small distance from the dog. Give the command, "fetch," and let your dog run after the toy. Once he has it in his mouth, gently draw him back to you by means of the lead. Show him a tasty food treat and give him the command, "release." It is very important that your pet give the object to you willingly. This is not a tug-of-war. Retrieving breeds will learn this trick quickly, and may play for hours. Other dogs may not be so enthusiastic about surrendering their favorite toy, so make sure you reward success exuberantly, lavishing your dog with praise and treats.

Once your dog reliably brings the object back to you, remove the leash and have him fetch the object on his own.l

STEWART'S STARFIRE COLETTE answered on 9/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer