I'm not home for long hours. I want to have a dog, but is that fair for him/her? Would they be fine?

I'm a new nurse, and I work 12 hour shifts 4-5 days a week. All my life I've been a dog owner, and I would love to get one now to live with me. However I am concerned that I work too much and will have to leave my dog alone for too many hours. I love Newfoundland dogs. Would it be a good home for him or her if I am gone so long so many days a week? Or would it be better for the doggie to find another forever home?

Asked by Member 1036532 on Jun 7th 2011 Tagged time, work, breed, newfoundland in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Tiara

Will the dog have access to an outside yard that is fenced in? Or will he be able to get inside someplace it the weather gets bad? I have been gone long hours on some days, but my dogs have a dog door that they can go in and out of. But I do worry about this being all the time. The dog may not get the socialization and exercise he needs not having someone there to be with him. I guess if you were able to get someone to walk him for you it would work. So I guess I am a bit on the fence here, it may work if you have the right set up. But if the dog is locked up inside all the time then I would say no it is not a good idea.

Tiara answered on 6/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would get a dog walker. Maybe have them come in up to 2x a day depending on your schedule.

That is too long for a dog to be alone without a break. If you can afford a dog walker or day care you may be able to pull it off.

You could consider a small dog if you train it to the potty patch, but it's still a long day alone.

I definitely agree with Jax. If you get a dog make sure you get a dog walker/pet sitter. They can make sure the dog is going outside, pottying, getting attention and exercise. If you aren't interested in having someone help you out, I'd wait on the dog until your work hours shorten.

that is long hours. I worked and had 3 german shepherds and my boston. but i also worked 3rd shift and then while sleeping during the day i left my back door open so they could be outside.
but, if I had to work during the day I would have to have a dog walker each day as that is too long to be alone inside with no way of going outside.
and even if you had a doggie door it isn't safe to be outside alone to bark and bother neighbors some neighbors would harm your dog. yes, they can I have had that unpleasant encounter.
You can however have other pets like hamsters and fish. they don't require walking and maintaince like dogs. Or perhaps a cat. they are independant and have litter boxes :)

I wouldn't get a dog if I were you, the dog needs to spend time with you more than just a couple hours a week. If you're gone for 12 hours a day 4-5 days a week, it's not fair for the dog. You can get one in the future when you don't work long hours.