I'm interested in buying two puppies a doberman pincher and a boxer. Does anyone know if these breeds get along?

If these breeds do get along, should I buy males or females, or one of each?

Asked by Member 766925 on Nov 12th 2008 in Socialization

Answers

Really, any breed of dog will get along with another, as long as you make it happen that way. If you let the dogs rule your home, then they aren't going to get along because they will constantly be trying to dominate one another. You have to be the leader, first and foremost. I would recommend getting a male and a female, especially if you are concerned about whether or not they will get along. That pair is generally more acceptable in a household together because they typically won't try to dominate one another. Make sure that you DO spay and neuter them when they are old enough, and until then, keep them separated so they cannot breed. I have never owned a Boxer, personally, but I do have several Dobermans. Dobermans, although loyal and obedient, CAN tend to want to dominate (this is typically in males, however it can depend on the mixture of genders you have in your home). I have many of both genders, and then I do have smaller breeds as well, however I make them all get along. I never leave them all together when my husband and I are not home, as although I trust my dogs, I don't trust that they couldn't start something while I am not there to supervise, especially if toys are involved, or what have you. It is most important that you are able to control your dogs in any situation. Make sure you exercise them LOTS as Dobermans in particular are high energy dogs and need lots of running and playing. Please message me if you have more questions.

Jake Wolf

hi! If you socialize the pups they will be friendly and get along! but socialization is very important especially with dobermans. Both breeds are extremely smart and dobermans can learn to do anything! I have read that boxer females are sometimes not as dog friendly as male boxers, so maybe take this inconsideration? You can find a great puppy at breed specific shelters and you can ask them more about your question! goodluck!

Jake Wolf answered on 11/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs of any breed can get along, especially if they have been raised together. But it does depend on the individual dogs and the way in which you manage and train them. When you have more than one dog, it needs to be clear that you are the leader in your household and that there are certain standards of behavior that are expected of each dog, and that are enforced.

In terms of gender, any can get along, but it's easiest to work with two males or a male and a female. Instances of aggression between two females, especially if unaltered, are higher than in other combination of dogs. Two males are usually a good combination, and you wouldn't have to worry about heats and possible pregnancy if you chose to wait with spay/neuter until the dogs have matured.

Two puppies at the same time are generally a bad idea, though. Have you had a puppy before? One pup is a ton of work. Two are twice as much. Just something to consider.

Pogo

Cesar Millan has shown us that you can get any type of dog to tolerate one another. A lot of it depends on how the dog is brought up and if it has been socialized with other animals.

Both of those breeds are strong and intelligent, but also loving. However, both breeds are more prone to disagreeing with other dogs than say a Golden Retriever.

If you choose to go this route I would get them as young pups (say 6 weeks) and not wait and get one that is say 6 months already. This will give you more time to socialize them with other dogs and other animals/people in general.

I've seen lots of Boxers. Most are great, but I have seen several (male and female) who want to attack other dogs of their same sex. Also have seen a couple great Dobermans, one who was even a guide dog, but also a handful that I was afraid to approach let alone my dog.

Get them from a responsible breeder and do your research on the breeds. Good luck!

Pogo answered on 11/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The dogs will probably get along well if raised together. You should carefully research both breeds though, and make sure you get two puppies with similar temperaments. As long as you neuter or spay both dogs around 6 months, either combination should be fine.

You should be careful about getting two puppies at the same time though. They will bond much more closely with each other than you, so you need to be willing to accept the fact that you will probably come second to both dogs. Also, it might be harder to train both of them at the same time.

I didn't want this to happen to me, so I got my first dog and we have a really great relationship now. He's 7 months old, housetrained and has excellent manners. I also wanted to wait to see if my dog got along well with other dogs and if he had a preference to a type of dog. I'm getting another male puppy in 1.5 weeks and I'm glad that I waited!

Paris

I moved in with my boyfriend when my female Doberman, Paris, was about 11 weeks old. He had a 6 year old female Boxer already. I can safely say that almost 4 years later, I am sort of worried about what will happen to Paris when Ruby, (now almost 10) is no longer w/us. These two are closer than any dogs I have seen in my life. But an adult Doberman female is not likely to accept another adult female dog, (especially if it is another dobie), or so I've been told. But puppies of any breed & sex should be happy if they are "family" in each others eyes, right?

Paris answered on 2/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer