i'm 8 years old can volunteer at an animal shelter?

i love dogs and puppies. im going to get one on my bday it will be from the animal shelter. i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Asked by Member 979354 on Apr 2nd 2010 Tagged volunteerwork in U.S. Midwest

Answers

Buckeye

Not usually. The youngest I've heard was probably around 12 years. Some shelters don't let children volunteer until they are at least 16 or 18. Some rules are strict and they do not want them to get bitten or hurt around the animals. Look in to maybe donating toys, food, and other stuff that animals might need. That is a big help for those dogs and cats, and they would appreciate anything.

Buckeye answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jet

I completely agree. I organized a food drive because I do not have the time to volunteer. You can do that! Please just have fun with it and know that whatever you do, you are making a difference-big or small in the lives of animals!

Jet answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Congratulations! So glad you are rescuing a dog. Shelter dogs make the best pets because they are so grateful.

You are too young to work at the shelter, but you can do 2 very important things to help.
1. Make other people smarter! Tell everyone about adopting from a shelter. Shelters have pure breeds and puppies, many people don't know that. Tell them - never buy anything from a pet store that sells puppies (they are from Puppy mills).

2. Have a class fundraiser: One of our neighbors had her classmates gather toys and treats for a gift basket that was auctioned or raffled to raise money for the Humane Society. They made almost $500...not bad!

I like your enthusiasm. :)
I don't know that any animal shelter would allow anyone under 14 to volunteer, but couldn't hurt to ask the people who run the shelter in your area. Either way, keep in mind that you're still helping out in a big way by adopting. Rock on!
I'm 16 and began volunteering at the local animal shelter two years ago. I recently became more active with it.

~Tiffany

Be sure to check with your local shelter... when I managed our local shelter we had a Saturday group of younger volunteers who came with their parents. We had lots of fun jobs for them to do, like making beds for the cats, making toys for the dogs, and even brushing some of the dogs and cats. Many other shelters offer these groups as well. Our group was for ages 6 to 12, and we usually had about 10 young people there every week. Good luck and have fun!!!