Esther

if your dog died, would you have he/she cloned?

Asked by Esther on Mar 15th 2010 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Isy

no. a clone is nothing more than a manmade identical twin. the clone will be genetically the same, but there is too much that is non-genetic that makes ur dog what it is. if u clone expecting ur old dog to be reborn, ull be saddly disapointed. ud be better off getting a different pup from the same line. save the cloning for medical advancements like growing new organs for transplant.

Isy answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rufio

Last year there was this couple on the news that payed alot of money to have their beloved dead dog cloned. They said the clone was exactly the same, personality, looks everything. When my cat died I really wished at the time I had enough money to clone her because I was so devasted over her loss, but now that I think about it...I'm not sure I would, it be a little wierd.

Rufio answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No way! There can only be one Wiley or Squ'mey & (IMO) a clone would not come near the original. Even though I will miss them horribly there are so many dogs needing a furever home waiting already. After I grieve & mourn, I will adopt a new, different dog & form a new lifelong bond. Great question though.

I really believe that if I had the money I would not do it. I think it cost over 25,000.00, I think it is triple that figure , can't remember.
But, really I would not.
I am really religious I feel you should not duplicate what God has made.
And really I would like to think my dog is one of a kind and no other dog could fill her paws.
I just couldn't do it.

Never. It would never be the dog I loved and knew.

Part of the beauty of our wonderful dogs is that they are all individuals, complete unlike any dogs who came before them or will come after them. Just like people.

I'd much rather adopt an existing dog who needed a home.

In a way, just the idea of replacing your dog with an "exact replica" seems disrespectful to that dog's life.

If I had that much money then I don't know. But, this is the thing - You will get the same dog (twin, look a like), but it will not act like the same dog that you have had. The other thing is, I would not want to pay about $50,000 dollars or more to clone my dog, when I can get a free one online or get a dog that cost pretty cheap at an animal shelter/rescue. If you go to an animal shelter/rescue or search online (Craigslist.com or Kijiji) then you might find a look a like dog that looks like yours. Any dog can be loving, I want another dog, but I don't want the same dog that I have, I want it to be a different color, and be totally different than any other dogs' I have had. I would not want it to be a twin, if I cloned it.

Great question, though!