if my older adult dog wont eat can I give him Ensure

has bad teeth

Asked by Member 1132978 on Sep 27th 2012 in Senior Pet

Answers

Isn't that a baby formula? No, that wouldn't be good for him.

I'd recommend either feeding wet food, or soaking his kibble in water so that it's soft.

I agree with the other poster. You shouldn't feed him human supplemented drinks. They can be very unhealthy for your dog. Wet food or soaked kibble, just like the other poster said would be the best bet. You can also add some "no salt" chicken broth to entice him. Good Luck!

Bad teeth cause all kinds of problems, including infections of the lining of the heart and the joints. These can and usually are extremely serious and are often fatal as well.
Rather than feed a liquid food that will not provide proper nutrition for your dog it would make much more sense to take him to your vet for a dental cleaning and extractions if necessary.
In the long run, it would most likely be less expensive to get a dental than to treat the resulting diseases.