I want to know more about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs/Vlčáks!

I want to know if a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog would be good for me! My fiance and I are moving into a new house soon with a decent yard. He has a chihuahua/jack russel mix. I want to know if a Wolfdog would fit in with our family. I also want to know how much I could buy one for and even if they are sold in the Western US. Thank you!

Asked by Member 664519 on Feb 5th 2013 Tagged czechoslovakianwolfdog, czechoslovakianvlk in Breeds

Best Answer

We used to have a dogster with the top ranked male vlcak in the US. Just returned from a trip to Europe to get another one..a bitch. She has a minpin & another small dog, and also had another large breed dog, in the city. Not an overly huge yard, and she works all day.
She keeps them crated while out, and they get daily exercise. Her male is muzzled when he is meeting new dogs. All her stories about other vlcaks..they all seem to be rough & tumble, drivey, pushy dogs. lol
They are high drive, dominant dogs that are on the difficult side to train. They will not, however go "wolfy" & turn on people. Vlcaks are a distinct breed, not just wolfdogs.
I believe there is only one breeder right now in the states...& their reputation is not good in the breed circle. I won't name them, but their name begins with Ga...
If you go to Choosing The Right Dog forum on the main page & type in "vlcak" for a search, there are a couple of threads where this dogster has answered lots of questions.

answered on Feb 5th.

Answers

They are not for everyone.

IF you are not a consistant and dominant personality, the wolfdog will take over - which may mean eliminating you or your Fiance'.

The Czechoslovakian Wolfdog (or Vlčák/Vlčiak) is a relatively new breed of dog that traces its original lineage to an experiment conducted in 1955 in Czechoslovakia. After initially breeding 48 working line German Shepherds with four Carpathian wolves, a plan was worked out to create a breed that would have the temperament, pack mentality, and trainability of the German Shepherd and the strength, physical build, and stamina of the Carpathian wolf. The breed was engineered to assist with border patrol in Czechoslovakia but were later also used in search and rescue, schutzhund, tracking, herding, agility, obedience, and drafting. It was officially recognized as a national breed in Czechoslovakia in 1982; in 1999 it became FCI standard no. 332, group 1, section 1.

You can go to the Dogster Choosing the Right Dog Forum to learn more about the Czech breed - www.dogster.com