Malachi Bubu M.

I want my dog to go outside but he dosnt have flea protection...

my mom and I have had Malachi for about 5 1/2 months. In that time he has almost never been outside (walking, playing, ect.).. He has only been outside wrapped in a blanket, going to the vet.

My point it, I really want to take him walking, but we dont have the money to give him his shots yet. Nor the money for a flee collar, or special shampoo. I want to take him walking so how can I walk him without bringing flee's in

(I know its almost impossible but I wonder if theres a solution to wash him in, I want him to enjoy the sun while he can before it rains)

(we live in washington state(not D.C))

Asked by Malachi Bubu M. on Aug 1st 2011 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Gia

Alright,

If you cannot afford to get a dog shots then don't get one. Those shots are very important, he cannot go outside without them. He will get sick. Flea shampoo is not much higher priced then normal shampoo, please understand that its expensive to have a dog and if you don't have enough money to take care of one then its not the smartest idea to get one, please get him shots and at LEAST shampoo, does he have heartworm medication either????

Gia answered on 8/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Umberto

There is a growing population of pet owners that have left the realm of conventional veterinary practices... and that is something you should look into - natural rearing, etc. Most of these flea/tick preventatives, shots, vaccines, meds, collars, shampoos, etc. are very harmful and even toxic to our animals. Many people have stopped all these "extras" other than a rabies vaccine that is required by law.

When you go outside, you don't bring home fleas, do you? What makes you think your dog will unless you take him to a flea infested area?

My dogs don't get any flea/tick treatments or heartworm preventatives, etc. Use your common sense, and do a LOT of research.

Umberto answered on 8/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Anna Bell

What I do for my puppies for flea, and fly protection is give them a garlic pill daily. They're all too young to take flea medication, and garlic is a natural flea repellant. It works for them, and we live on a farm (just dont O.D on it as it is a blood thinner).But I must say that your pup ABSOLUTELY needs it's shots, parvo lives in the ground and if yours isnt protected, it can pick it up from a veriety of places, like at the park, and even outside the vets office. I dont know about where you live but it is of vital importance in the south to protect against puppy parvo.

Anna Bell answered on 8/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs don't get fleas just from walking down the street, and just plain baths with shampoo get rid of them most of the time unless it's a very severe infestation. You can get Frontline or Advantage pretty cheap too if you buy online, look at Drs Foster and Smith for prices. that said, Bruno isn't on any flea control, is outside for hours every day, and has never had fleas.

You can get shots cheap at low-cost shot clinics- ask at your pet supply store if they do those there, or where you can do that. In my area (Portland OR) we have "Good Neighbor Vet" clinics that set up in pet stores and farm stores for a day and give shots, it's usually under 50 dollars for a health exam and full set of shots. If Malachi had puppy shots from the breeder or shelter he came from, you don't have to get any shots other than rabies (rabies is mandated by law, it's ILLEGAL in most places to not vaccinate for rabies.)

Dogs need to go for walks and be outside, it's part of being a dog!

Molly Doll ( In Loving Memory)

I am with Gia on this one,if you can't afford shots don't get a dog,shots are bloody important and should have had them at 8 weeks.
It beggers belief that so many owners are no educated enough on keeping dogs!

Molly Doll ( In Loving Memory) answered on 8/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer