fudge

I think my puppy may of caught parvo disease

i was taking my ten week old jack russel puppy for a walk , he has had one shot.and i took him down to the woods and he was near something i do not know if it was cat or dog poo what should i do? i would have to put him down if he caught parvo

Asked by fudge on Apr 13th 2010 in Vaccinations

Answers

Is he sick? If he is not sick then he doesn't have parvo. If he IS sick you need to take him to a vet and find out what is the matter with him. People have let dogs die because they thought they had parvo and they really only had an upset tummy from eating something bad. Keep him on his leash so he can't get into stuff when you are walking him. That will be much safer.

oh no!
take him to the vet immediately. How do you know it was not raccoon droppings they carry round worms, hook worms, tape worms, distemper and rabies sometimes.
If it was near water and the woods, it was a raccoon and they carry MANY parasites.
My friend in the club his dog ate raccoon poops two weeks ago and he got VERY sick. He said the dog had dirrehea, fever and vomiting.
Opposums carry another parasite that causes paralysis and death. sorry about that but they do , they are the ones who really cause damage. It is a water traveler too. www.labbies.com/lepto.htm
We had a pony we had to put to sleep that got that. He had grass where a Oppossum poo'd we didn't know.
Hope your pup gets better soon.

Gidget

First off, don't panic, and don't make assumptions to quickly.

Not every wild animal is infected with this virus.

If your dog suddenly began to feel sick, then its a good chance he has picked something up, but only a vet can diagnose exactly what.

So before jumping to conclusion and putting your very special breed to sleep, make 100% sure that it is necessary.

He may have lucked out this time. I sure hope so!!!

My property is heavily wooded. My youngest dog Gidget was dropped out here, and I have no idea how many days she may have wondered this wooded area before finding her way to my door. She was somewhere between 7-9 weeks. She was wormy, she ate poop and bugs, so I can only assume she had stumbled across alot of squirrel/opossum and rabbit poop on her journey. She didn't have shots, but fortunately worms were her only infestation and the vet got rid of them quickly.

So, give your JR a chance. He may be just fine!!

Good luck!!!

Gidget answered on 4/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I understand you are worried, but I'm not sure how you can go from thinking he may have been exposed simply because he was near some other animal's feces to even thinking about putting him down.

Take Fudge to the vet and have him checked out. There's no reason to even think about putting him down even if he is sick. If you catch it in time, though very grave, parvo is an illness which some dogs DO recover from.

It's more likely that he'll be just fine and doesn't have parvo, but do take him in if you suspect anything at all. But don't always assume the worst unless you've been told to by your vet.