I own an Alaskan Malamute 18 mnths old had him since 8 weeks

but has on a couple of occasions snapped at myself for telling him no! when chewing something he shouldnt and at my wife when taking something from him he should not have had. He has never shown signs off being like this with my grandchildren but am obviously very concerned, i do love this dog and other than these couple of times has always shown to be a very friendly loving dog but i am at a loss as to what to do and am afraid unless i can get some advice i will have to give him up as i cannot take the chance with my grandchildren.

Asked by Member 1147118 on Dec 29th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Sounds like he is going through a stage where he is testing you. He's guarding what ever it is you are taking away. Try "Trading". Trade him something he would die for, Like a really yummy treat that will distract him from what he's doing. Call him over for it and make him sit before you give it to him. Only use that treat for that particular behavior. That way, he won't get too used to the treat and he will always choose it over the bad behavior. As he matures, he will test you from time to time. They are like teenage kids as they grow up. Some dogs are more willful than others. Malamutes are a breed that needs a strong leader and lots of exercise. Good Luck!