Shadow

I need some help with my aggressive dog!

My dog is an Australian Shepered and -sighs- part chow....I know chows to be somewhat intense breeds so maybe that has something to do with it...her name is Shadow and I have a small shihtzu Princess. They live together peacefully but I want to rescue another dog someday...Shadow dislikes when a dog comes into our home. She becomes aggressive and attacks. I do not have money at the moment to hire a professional trainer so in the meantime while I save up, what should I do? I have plenty of love and room to give to a dog in need and I cant let Shadow stop me from giving it. I love her very much but I need some help. Suggestions please?

Asked by Shadow on Nov 18th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Jasmine

I think you should wait to get another dog. You need to make sure your dog will be a safe companion to any other animals that come into your house first. Introducing another animal into the house could very possibly end up costing you a lot of money in vet bills. You are stressing Shadow by allowing another dog into her territory. She may learn to accept it but odds are she will continue to be territorial and the aggression can escalate leaving you with a choice of which dog to get rid of. It wouldn't be fair to your new rescue to be brought to a home that will be filled with intimidation and aggression and not be able to feel safe. One bite is one too many.

Jasmine answered on 11/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer