I move often for my job but really want a dog?

I'm a scuba instructor, therefore i travel ALOT. No remote island or country is off limits. I've moved about 4 times in the past year, but i miss the companionship of a dog. I had one all my life growing up so its hard not to have one now. Is it possible to get a dog and take it with me everywhere? Is it fair to the dog to move so often? Should i try fostering? If you have any insight i would greatly appreciate your help.

Asked by Member 1137441 on Oct 24th 2012 Tagged travelandfoster in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

As long as you spend a lot of time with your dog, and give him enough exercise, it doesn't matter how much you move. There are some truck drivers that take their dogs with them on every trip. Good Luck!

I would be concermed about quarintine laws in foreign countries. Airlines can be quite picky. I would worry about flying my dog cargo to some tropical place.

Vance CGC

Tough question, better for the forums where there is no posting limit. I used to petsit with my dogs, moving through houses on a weekly basis. I rotated semi-permanent residences based on where I needed to be next.

You have to work hard for this arrangement to work. You must become the stability in your dog's life. Your presence, the trust between you and certain favored objects make the home, not the place or the routine. In that respect, it's incredibly rewarding.

It can also end any time. Vance became ill at 8 and physically unable to handle the moving. I got an apartment and quit out-of-home petsitting. You have to plan for this, and think "when" not "if." Aging can really take a toll.

Also, the logistics of ONE international move with a dog can be staggering. Moving regularly, quarantine law alone could have you tied up in red tape most of the time. Then you have local law and attitudes toward dogs to contend with... I don't think it's impossible, but it may be illogical.

Vance CGC answered on 10/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Diesel

If I were you, id get a smaller companion type dog that is used to being carried around different places, just get him used to being in different enviornments when he's young, as long as he's with you he'll be fine! Keep a bed for him or crate that you travel with so he has the same sleeping arrangement wherever he goes.

Also keep in mind shipping a dog is typically $300, probably much more for international rates so if you got a small dog you may be able to take him with you as a carry on which would be a lot more practical!

Diesel answered on 10/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer