I know of a Husky that needs to be removed from where he is living. What can I do?

Max is in the heat all day and night, his winter coat has not been brushed out, nor has he ever been brushed. I don't know how often he is getting water or food. He looks bad, thin for a Husky.

There are four children and a baby in the house. I have only seen Max walked once since they got him. Other than the times I've had to take him home myself. Then the owner asked what his dog was doing on the end of my leash. I told him that he got loose again came down for a meal and something to drink and play with my dog for a few min., and then I brought him home. He did not like that answer very much.

Max always comes to see me when he gets loose. So now he is on a big chain in the front yard, with no protection from the elements or anything else. There are coyotes around. He will sit and cry all night long. I need to help him find a caring LOVING family before Max is no more. Can anyone point me to the right agency that can help in this matter, to get help for him please?

Asked by Member 871456 on Jul 23rd 2011 Tagged notmydog, havetakencareofhim, needshelp in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Call the ASPCA !!

Document! Take pictures of the yard/chain. Include evidence there is no water or food bowl, or adequate shelter. Try & time stamp the pics. Then call animal control in your area. Contact breed specific rescues, or post in our "Rescues & Adoptions" forum. Find out about tethering/chaining laws in your area. Many places have strict conditions/restictions on chaining a dog for extended periods & it is illegal in some places. Thank you for trying to help this guy!

I'll add that you may need to make repeated calls to which ever local animal rights group serves your area. In many remote areas the local police are in charge of this.
In remote areas there are too few people to police too many pets.

You may be this dogs only voice, so speak loud and often, til you get results.

Contact a rescue group that deals with Husky's see if they can help as well.

Knowing what city and state you live in might help us to suggest the proper authorities.

Does your local animal control have a website? See if they list relevant animal welfare laws on there- for example, in most places it is illegal to keep a dog without shelter of any kind, such as a doghouse or lean-to. In some places, tie-outs are illegal as permanent confinement. And it is ALWAYS illegal to not have any water. Call them if they don't have a website, or call the sheriff or police department if you don't have animal control.

Second, I'd offer to buy Max from them. Ask what they paid for him, and offer to pay half. (That's really more than they deserve, but you also want them to agree to the deal.) The amount they paid might be the only reason he hasn't been surrendered or turned loose already, because they think of it as losing money.

As a very last resort? Someone I know reported abuse to animal control multiple times with no results, because there was no proof to back up the claim. The owner refused to surrender the dog. So one night, the dog just...slipped his collar and ran away. Later, we saw a dog JUST like it living with a loving acquaintance in another part of the state.

As suggested before, I would document everything. Pictures, dates, times, etc. Then get whatever agency in your county/town is responsible for animals involved. Contacting the agency and having them take care of it, with you OUT of the loop is best. Try to make sure the agency does not convey who gave the info. We had to contact Social Services about an elderly neighbor who could no longer care for herself. (She could for a long time, but then needed a group living situation.) The family did not want her to go to a home -- they were only after the money she had, and did not want to spend a dime of their inheritance. When we contacted the agency, gave specific examples of why this poor lady could not longer care for herself, the agency was able to step in and keep US out of it, preventing retribution. Hopefully if you can supply all the reasons why Max needs to be rescued, but stay out of the actual rescue, then you will not be subject to the family turning on you.

Banzai

I would definitely take pictures. I have a friend who came across a similar situation about a dog who was treated badly. My friend a her brother went to that house in the middle of the night and stole the dog. They then gave the dog to somebody they knew who wanted the dog and would take care of the dog properly. That dog found a loving home.

Banzai answered on 7/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nova

I have a friend who lived across the street from this same situation. The poor dog sat in a small caged in area with no shade. The family just ignored this dog. All of a sudden, one night the dog disappeared. The dog spent his last few years surrounded by love. Do I condone stealing? No. But I do believe in saving a life and giving it love by whatever means. I hope this baby finds a loving home by whatever means. Every once in awhile, the means justifies the act.

Nova answered on 7/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

So many people are stealing dogs! Yikes! I adopted a rescue this year who came with vocal separation anxiety and I live in an apartment. I got a note from a neighbor after being gone for less than an hour one day saying that I was abusing my dog, report to SPCA, etc, etc. I take very good care of my dog - positive training, daycare while I work, interactive toys, top quality food, vet care, vacations, etc.

All you who are stealing dogs - I sure hope that you know the truth about the situation. I am terrified that someone is going to break into my car and steal him one day when I am at the grocery store because they think his crazy barking anxiety is from neglect or abuse (I NEVER, EVER leave him when the car has any chance of heating up - very picky about that, but sometimes when it is cold enough it is my only option to run and buy milk since I can't leave him home due to threatening neighbors and I rent)

Be legal! Don't steal unless the animals life is in danger!

Kadan

If there's one thing I hate most about neglect cases with Siberians, it's Siberians that are chained up and left in a yard. If you need to chain up a dog to keep them from running off, there's something wrong with you and you certainly don't need a dog! (MY OPINION)

A Siberian Husky left outdoors with an undercoat not being brushed out and chained up with no protection from the elements is certainly life threatening and ABUSE. He has no quality of life like this, and it's not a situation to take likely. If you can't get the local SPCA involved or animal control, try seeing if you can get a local rescue to help you out with saving him.

Honestly, if Max were to get loose and slip away and I was the neighbor who found him? I'd find Max a new home without them knowing. Without a second thought.

Kadan answered on 7/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Marmaduke

Except, in this situation, Max's life is in DANGER. I don't know where the OP is from but it's well into the 100's here in Texas and the rest of the Southwest region. I've heard of 8 dogs dieing from heatstroke that's when it was barely in the mid-90's.

If he is without water or food as well, bigger issue. Especially in the heat.

If you can't get the ASPCA or a local rescue group (don't call the city shelter/AC officers). Take that dog yourself and get him a home.

Marmaduke answered on 7/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

File a complaint to the local Animal Services or aniamls control.