I know I just got 4 month old English Bull Dog. For the past one week I am trying to tell him to my Dog "Go Potty" and

I know I just got 4 month old EBD. For the past one week I am trying to tell him to do Potty and I am with him after he has his food + water. And i waited for almost 45 min nothing happen. Once I just go somewhere quickly and come back he does it somewhere else. I feel the dog. Is shy Or may be I am doing something which the dog isn't getting my messages. Need your advice?

Asked by Member 1151633 on Jan 24th 2013 Tagged potty in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I would get a dog crate and crate train him. Most dogs don't have good potty control until they are 4-6 months old. Take him out, if he doesn't go, put him in the crate. 1/2 hour later, take him back out. If he goes, he just earned 1 hour of freedom in only 1 or 2 rooms. After the hour, take him back out. If he doesn't go, put him back in the crate. You keep repeating that and make a huge deal out of it when he goes and give him a small treat. He will start to ask to go out. It may be subtle like staring at you, whining or go stand by the door. You have to watch for the cue to go out, generally they won't ask twice. This is very time consuming until he gets the hang of it. Usually they catch on within 2 or three weeks if you are consistent. Good Luck!