Brutus

I heard someone say it was harder to housebreak a male puppy. Is this true?

I have 2 male Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers who are both adults and are completely housebroken. I was at PetSmart over the weekend and I saw someone adopting a female puppy- they had said that the males were supposed to be harder to housebreak. I told them that didn't have a problem housebreaking my male dogs. Some people we know that had female puppies actually had a harder time housebreaking them. Anyways, so the question is: Is it harder to housebreak a male dog or a female dog? Or does it just depend on how they are housebroken? Woofs and puppy kisses, ~ Brutus ~

Asked by Brutus on May 18th 2010 Tagged female, male, housebreaking in Housebreaking

Answers

I had both male & female dogs. I found they are both the same as long as you are consistent with them.

Hector

I believe the misconception of this, is some people may be trying to house break a male dog when there is pre-existing urine smells in the house. In this case, especially in the case of an adult male, it is only because it is harder for them to fight the natural urge to want to spray over another dog's scent. Females don't have that natural urge to mark their territories, but if they smell pre existing urine, they will assume it is okay to pee there, but can quickly be corrected, where as males have to learn to fight that natural urge. But it can be done without much ado.

I have 3 males and 1 female and it was no harder what so ever to house break my males than my female. Infact, they learned quicker, but their breeds are a bit more intelligent than my female breed. But basically, with persistance, there is no difference in the ease of training. Atleast it wasn't for me.

Hector answered on 5/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Since 1991we have done 5 males and 14 females. None of them was very hard. I can't say there is much difference. I think it it is mostly technique. The net is full of low quality instructions. I have posted what has worked for us with many puppies at www.dogster.com

I think they are refering to marking behavior, which male dogs do sometimes even if well house trained.

I find difficulty in training is Breed or temperment related.

Luther

I've only ever had male dogs and they were so simple to housebreak. I have friends who had female dogs and they never had problems. So, I guess the sex of the dog makes no difference.

I do, however, know of people who have breed-specific problems or occasionally experience marking behaviors with their male dogs.

Luther answered on 6/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Blitzen

I have two Siberian Huskies, one male and one female. The male, who is two years old, was a breeze to house train. My female, who is 15 weeks, however, has been a lot more difficult than the male.

My parents two German Shepherds, one male and one female. Their female was also harder to train than their male.

In my opinion, males are easier to house train than females.

Blitzen answered on 6/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Winston

It should not be any harder to housebreak a male dog than it is to housebreak a female. It just takes time and dedication. "Have patience with your hairy friend!"

Winston answered on 10/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We consider pet dogs seeing that family members. Dog is human’s best friend and another of the most beautiful family pets.
www.city32.com

females are harder. Sunny was a pain, but Takashi was WONDERFUL!!!