I have full blood boston terriers who I bred. The pups were born with long hair, what would cause this?

I have both mom and dad and the pups have both parents markings. I was told they are rare and called boston terrier silkys, is this true?

Asked by Member 806115 on Feb 19th 2009 in Breeds

Answers

Did an internet search and couldn't find much helpful info, but apparently it is true.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Do you have the AKC papers for both of these dogs?

Yes, what you mention is possible, however there would have had to be a dog in the lineage that also had the same traits, or this wouldn't have happened.

If you don't have their papers (which I am assuming you don't, or you would have already known the answer to this question), then you shouldn't have been breeding them, but that's a whole different topic...

Mastiffs have a "fluffy gene" too. Its not rare, its not special. Its also not to standard set by the AKC, would be faulted in a show ring, and would've been known about if you'd done your pedigree research.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Are you 100% positive no other dog bred your bitch?
& the pups are not rare so much as they are not within standard which is a bad thing...Nothing special there.
Please sell the pups on spay & neuter contracts so as not to add even more to the plight of pet overpopulation & dogs (even purebred Bostons) dying in shelters everyday for lack of enough homes.

Baxter

No such things as silkys
This is something that is either a fluke.
Or your dogs history is incorrect.
Did any dogs get to the female during heat?
Also I would question the breeders history of safe breeding.
Are the Bostons you have registered?
Sounds like somewhere down the line something is mixed into the bloodline either intentionaly or by mistake.

Baxter answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First off, Are both of your dogs registerd? Or even purebreeds?
Cause, If they arn't then then that's what mad your pups have long hair. Also, could anyother dog got to your female when she was in heat? If so it could be the father not the male boston. There really isn't such a thing called a Sliky boston terrier. We have one areself. I have even looked around and asked other breeders about something like this and they say you can't have a "longed" haired Boston.