I have been visiting this site every day for a week.

... upon finding this site I was thinking about joining ... but some of the questions i read are down-right embarrasing. There are either A LOT of very young ppl here or there are a lot of dogs in trouble.

A lot of the questions I read, are about things that every dog owner should know before they even go LOOK for a dog.

Havent you ever heard of doing some basic research?

Asked by Member 871350 on Aug 26th 2009 in Adoption

Answers

shiloh Bear

im 18 and this is my third dog. i still ask questions dont join if youwant to but its your loss

shiloh Bear answered on 8/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Well, I do have a tough time sometimes reading questions here. I sometimes really worry about peoples dogs, because it seems as if they have zero knowledge on basic dog care. And because I get upset so quickly I sometimes vow I won't participate on the site.
But, then I think--at least they're reaching out. Where are they going to go where they can at least get some kind of guidance within minutes sometimes and help the dog or help the situation?
I may give a snarky answer and sometimes I think I'm a bit mean to certain questions, but these people who ask these questions are not going to forfeit their dogs and they'll probably get more, so if I can help guide them in the right direction, I'll keep participating.

I agree some of the questions are rather basic, but not everybody is born knowing everything about dogs. I love dogs and want to help them by sharing what I know with their owners. I try to give polite, informative answers to the questions I think I can give good answers to. The rest I ignore.

I am sometimes apalled at the ignorance of some of our askees (and sometimes even atsome of those who answer), but at least their posting here gives us an opportunity to teach them. Better than them never learning anything about responsible ownership at all, no?

Just a few years ago, I was pretty ignorant of many aspects of dog ownership myself...and I had dogs. I'm glad that I had a natural desire to read and learn more about my favorite animals...it's improved me as an owner, and my dogs thank me for it every day. I'm happy that I can help others to do the same here.

Neka

You're right ... sometimes the questions asked here are ones that ppl should already know if they own a dog, but at least they are asking the questions and TRYING to learn. (Thats a Good Thing)

Helping them find the answers they need instead of "blowing them off" may actually help save a few dogs.

Thats why Im here!!! Helping dogs ... Isnt that what it's really all about?

I hope you re-think joining! Even though some could care less or have told you to go away, I think if you have the knowlege, it is your duty to share it with the world.

Yes you may have to "grin and bare it" from time to time, but we can all make a difference. The key is that you must want to do it!

PS: if you DO join, I wouldn't mention that you made this post!!!

Neka answered on 8/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

All you need to do is take one trip to a dog park to know that while many owner love their dogs, some have no clue about dog behavior.
Consider membership to a site like this one an opportunity to alleviate ignorance and help dogs live a better life because of it.
As for our young members; I have lived with dogs all my life and learned much with my parents at the lead. But at 46 I am still learning! I am glad so many young people are showing an interest and asking questions. The willingness to learn is going to take them further than the (false)belief that they know it all.

I agree with the o.p.!...Not knowing dogs is one thing but the complete lack of common sense is maddening!!!
& yes there are a LOT of kids on Dogster & a lot of fibbing & drama because of this.

I agree with the OP but there is So much more to Dogster than just this answer forum.
Don't judge Dogster just on this forum. Please sniff around the whole site. There is a ton of information and fun!