I have an 8 week old kitten that will not eat any food. He still nurses from the queen.

I am not the owner of the queen, she was a stray that would love to get back outside. However, she is still nursing him. His other brother and sister still nurse but eat regular food. I've tried every food I can buy plus fresh meat and other things around the house. Is this normal? As I mentioned, mom is only a stray that I allowed to move in so she wouldn't have to endure the heat and I would know the kittens were safe. I can't afford to take any of them to the vet. I have a couple that will be taking this kitten and one of his litter mates and they will take him to the vet as soon as they get him. When or how should I remove him from his mother? Do you have any suggestions?

Asked by Member 725011 on Sep 3rd 2008 Tagged weaning, feeding, catfood in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I would let him nurse as long as he needs to, but I would also put some meat into his mouth. When I was taking care of kittens (also from a stray cat), they wouldn't eat their wet food at first so I would hold one, open his mouth, and place the food in it. Then he would start chewing and after that he always ate his food. I did this with each of them that weren't eating already. They have been with the queen for 8 weeks, which is the minimum amount of time that a kitten should be with it's mother. He can be removed when the couple come to take him.
This is Dogster, mostly for questions about dogs. You can ask about cats on Catster. You'll probably get better help over there than here.
Good luck with the kitties.