Sasha

I have a Siberian Husky and as it's getting colder outside I was wondering how cold is too cold for her.

Sasha sleeps inside at night and loves to go out in the day. If I bring her in she is constantly going to the door to go outside, but I fear she could be getting too cold. I know they are bred for extreme weather and she seems to like it, but I still worry.

Asked by Sasha on Dec 8th 2009 Tagged weather, coldweather, cold, husky, siberianhusky in Siberian Husky

Answers

Charlie

I wouldn't worry about it. That breed can handle temperatures well below 0 degrees farenheit. If anything it's probably more comfortable this time of year.

www.wikifido.com

Charlie answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Katie

The Siberian Husky was originally developed by the Chukchi people of northeastern Siberia as an endurance sled dog. They were also used to herd reindeer. In 1909, the first large numbers of these Chukchi dogs were brought to Alaska to compete in the long-distance All-Alaska Sweepstakes races, and the Alaskan dog drivers quickly recognized the ability of these small, compact dogs from Siberia.

Siberian Huskies can work in temperatures down to -75 degrees F. The average Siberian winter is between -10 and -50 degrees F.

Your girl Sasha is a Siberian Husky, and if she is eager to go outside and play, I say, let her!

When it's time for her to come in, dip her paws in a bucket of warm water to melt any ice that may have lodged between her toes. Then dry her feet and welcome her back inside.

This is the best time of year for her - I bet she's really feeling the call of the wild, and all her breeding! Running in the snow, pulling a sled - it's what she longs for. Let her enjoy!

Katie answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

BJ is Lab/Pyr he LOVES the cold and snow and spends most of his time outside. He has been so happy since the snow fell. He is out there rolling around in it. I have seen him actually break ice to get in the water. Some breeds have hundreds if not thousands of years of breeding that have conditioned them to live in the most adverse conditions. Check out the temps in Siberia, you'll get an idea of what your breed can take. I say LET the dog be/do/stay true to his/her breeding. If she enjoys being out in the snow let her. Sh will come in when she is cold.

I don't blame you for that.
If you have a house for her, try place two by fours two of them treated wood under the house to raise it from the frost that forms ontop of the ground.
Then if you can place a heavy mat over the front of the door. Always keep Straw, clean and dry on hand, stuff the Straw inside straw is hollow and will help keep the dog warm
The husky I had slept ontop of the thick snow and then howl at all the full moons, all night long!
She is so pretty good luck.

Pearl

I would let Sasha outside as much as she wants or needs. I would not worry about it too much but if she gets frostbite which I doubt will happen let her out for shorter periods of time. But I would not recommend leaving her out for days on end in super cold weather but you like your dog too much to make her stay out like that. Bottom line keep doing what your doing and let her out when she wants.

Pearl answered on 12/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rossi

I know you're coming from but watch the movie 8 Below. These pups are made for the cold! I would just suggest to not start letting her stay out at night in the extreme cold.... she will develop a thicker coat the more she is outside at the beginning of your cold season. Rossi only goes out during the day and he never develops that beautiful super thick coat outdoor huskies get.

Rossi answered on 3/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

my dog is called sasha but she is a malamute and she does the same thing loves to be outside all the time does care what the weather is like she still go's out