I have a Lhasa Apso with a terrible skin condition. She has flaky oily skin & keeps getting the skin lesions.what is it

Skin keeps getting brown smelly crusty scabs.First started around mouth. The vet gave panalog ointment to put on.It worked and then when I stop using it it comes back.It has now spread to her foot ,neck,back and tail. The vet tested for thyroid which came back fine,He also ruled out allergies.He said he thinks it is something auto immune but not sure what. Meanwhile she has an appoinment with a new vet Saturday and is getting worse.I have read about a condition called sabaceous adenititis and is seems she has most of the symptoms.Does anyone have these problems or know anything about it. I just want my poor baby healthy. She has already had a umbilical hernia ans cherry eye in both eyes fixed.Someone please help.I'm at my wits end.

Asked by Member 808233 on May 27th 2009 Tagged skin in Skin Problems

Answers

Aaleai Marie Gammell

Aaleai had the same problem..It is possibly an allergic reaction to something..i would try switching the diet of your dog, and suggest getting hydrocortisone shots..they really help.. aaleai had an allergic reaction to a flea bite and had the same thing kind of reaction as your baby girl...if she goes outside a lot make sure she is on a good flea and tick medication, i suggest Frontline plus... it works miracles

Aaleai Marie Gammell answered on 5/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oh, so sorry for you two!
I wonder if she just has bad allergies with an over growth of yeast bacteria.
Here are some links:
Hope they help you..
Shih tzu - dry - smelly skin
en.allexperts.com

English Mastiff - skin - coat problems:
en.allexperts.com

Katie

Hi there!

I hope the second opinion with the new vet helped with the diagnosis!

My Katie has an auto-immune disease similar to lupus, and her skin problems are kept under control via diet, supplements (Omega-3 fatty acids with vitamins A, D, and E), and a low dose of steroids (5 mg. of prednisolone). We keep her busy but not stressed, with lots of exercise and consistent household rules and structure.

You don't mention your baby's diet, and many vets don't count it as important, but if you are feeding a "grocery" dog food (Purina, Beneful, etc.), you may get some improvement by switching to a premium food. Some good brands are Wellness, Inova, Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, and Lotus. The most important thing is to read the ingredients list and make sure the first ingredient is meat (like chicken, bison, lamb, salmon, etc.) and that there is no corn, wheat, by-products, or protein "digest."

I hope this helps, and that your Lhasa Apso is feeling healthy and happy soon! Good luck!

Katie answered on 6/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had a similar problem and my vet gave me a special shampoo for microscopic parasites.. Escuderm shampoo with ketaconozole. It worked immediately but I used it repeadetly every 3 days for 2 weeks and ... no more problems and my dog is very happy now. The endles scratching is gone as are the flakey spots and goo...