I have a lab mix female,1.5 yrs, that I still can't stop from jumping on people, sniffing crotches/rears. Annoys family.

She also will play nip/chew at my daughter's (and other kid's) and husband's legs/ feet, which upsets and annoys them. She is a sweet gal (no food or toy aggression, loves other dogs etc) but we've had her since she was 8 wks old and she doesn't seem to quite get where she is in the pack. This is our first dog as a family, so I know we are doing something wrong but I don't know how to train her to stop the unwanted behaviors. Hired a private trainer for an hour to come to house but he only wanted to work on the walk and heal command. He thought that if I had that down, I could get her to do anything else I wanted. Suggestions? And, no, I don't have the heal command down yet. Working on it. She's pulled me down before, and I'm afraid to walk her when the road is icy. How do you stop a dog who is naturally very excited by certain situations? She turns into 50 lbs of dog-kangaroo.

Asked by Member 755913 on Feb 26th 2010 Tagged jumping, playbiting, walkingonleash in Jumping Up

Answers

Oh, the joy of kangaroo labs! You just gotta love them (as you're being slammed headfirst into a tree...)

First, stop worrying about where she thinks she is in the pack. That's really an overblown theory and it's not really got much bearing on the behavior that you've described here.

The crotch and rear sniffing is totally normal. That's how dogs find out information about each other when they meet. If you watch them, you'll see that they do this every time they meet another dog, or even one that they know well already. It's not that hard to get them to stop jumping, once you know the right technique. And that, surprisingly, is just to completely ignore them when they jump or sniff. Have the person walk away and turn their back on her when she's jumping. Once she's calm and not jumpy, they can come back and try approaching her again. She'll learn after a while that jumping and nosing means she gets no lovin' and attention. The trick it so make sure EVERYONE does this with her.

Try a sensation harness it snaps in the front.
Measure her and if you need an extra person to hold her to do so do it.
She needs a motivational trainer who wants to work with the dog and you. He has to teach You - how to train first.
She sounds like a real live wire. For me those are the easiest dogs to train. The hardest for a beginner.
I really recommend going to AKC and looking for a breed specific club. They will be able to teach you so you can teach your dog.
I really advise Motivational training only.
Use chicken breasts cooked and diced.
or ham. If she is more interested in a toy use her favorite toy. Her reward for a command is the toy/ or food. her reward for a good job is a toy/food be consistent.
No more then 15 minutes for each session. slow steady training, just 15 minutes a day.
Try the harness
I know it is so icy here. I have been already trying that and two times is all I got done. If you can find a fenced in place or a doggie play center go for it!!www.softouchconcepts.com

Katie

Hi there!
I agree with Jack and Dieta - your high-energy dog can be lots of fun, but needs more training!

It's too bad your first trainer experience wasn't helpful, but if you have the means, your best approach is to hire a professional who uses positive reinforcement and humane methods (no leash-jerking, yelling, or physical punishment).

Before the trainer comes over (and whenever you want to teach your dog something), give her at least an hour of exercise so she is less likely to go ballistic. If you can teach her to "sit," that's the command to use when she tries to sniff areas that humans don't approve of.

As Dieta says, use tiny bits of diced chicken. Labs are usually very food-motivated, but if she's a little hungry, she'll be even more attentive.

As Jack says, stop giving attention when your dog does something unwanted. We taught Katie not to nip our heels in just 2 days, by leaving her outside for a few minutes whenever she tried to "herd" us.

Stay calm, make training fun!

Katie answered on 2/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gilligan

Please see my answer to Lil Bear on the same subject. It is the best, easiest method I have ever learned or used. It works not only for jumping up, but also sniffing, and any other bad behavior you want to stop. The trick is to do it immediately, as soon as the dog exhibits the bad behavior. Works like a charm. Try it and you'll see!

Gilligan answered on 4/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer