Rocky

I have a german shepherd with one weak back leg but know pain,

what could it be? he can jump up and when he is outside he looks like he is moving alright.

Asked by Rocky on Sep 23rd 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Could be alot of things. I would worry about cancer first and foremost. You need to take Rocky in to be checked. Hopefully it's just a muscle pull or something like that, but one of the first signs that many dog owners notice in dogs that have cancer in the leg is limping or favoring the leg. If you move fast it can make a big difference. I don't mean to scare you it's just that (unfortunately) I've learnd alot about canine cancer in the past few years. The good news is that there alot of treatments out there too. Good Luck, hope it's nothing!

Jet

Unless your dog has a tumor, I disagree with the previous poster in the case of "I think this is cancer". If you dog has a tumor, it is cancer. If not, I wouldn't worry.

Have you done any recent runs (5 k, half-marathon, etc) or maybe heavy exercises lately? If so, maybe that's the case. If you did go on a recent run or heavy exercise with Rocky recently, I would just let his legs rest for a few days. If it doesn't get better in a few days, a max of a week, I would call your vet. If not, I would try to call you vet as soon as possible.

Hope this helps, and paw mail me if you need anything!

Jet answered on 9/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mina

You should definitely bring him to the vet to be checked out... my first and foremost worry would be hip dysplasia... it's very common in Shepherds... have you ever gotten his hips x-rayed?

Other than that, it could be many things. He might have hurt it, he could have a nerve issue, etc. Best be safe and visit the vet.

Mina answered on 9/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

B.J., CGC

"If you dog has a tumor, it is cancer. If not, I wouldn't worry." NO WAY... All tumors are not cancer... most are fatty tumors or cysts. And, many, many cancers do not present as a tumor. My own GSD died of leukemia... no tumor at all, yet a deadly cancer. Another GSD I owned had osteoscaroma... again, no tumor but the entire femur was eaten away by cancer. This is in no way intended to scare Rocky... this is merely to point out that these answers many times need to be taken with a grain of salt and do not in any way substitute for a veterinarian's exam and diagnose. For some reason many who answer these questions think they have a degree in veterinary science when they own a dog or two. I have bred and shown dogs for over 40 years and worked directly with a veterinarian during many of those years and I can't believe some of the things I see here on answers. Hopefully, the people asking the answers DO check with their vet and don't just go by what they read here.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I absolutely agree with BJ. My old girl Koko suffered from nerve sheath tumors which can be disfiguring but are non-cancerous... And you'll find a lot of experienced and caring pet owners here, but we're no substitute for quality vet care. See your vet.

Only way you'll know is to take him to the vet and get a complete physical and x-rays or scans.
Good luck.

It could mean hip dyplasia or other issues.
the best option is the vet with an x-ray. You could try to guess all day as to what it is.
The vet can also give you some options in what to do.
They tend to seem be alright outside cause they are free and it is fun time.
The dogs tend to push pain to another time. They are good at tolerating pain. But, once he is inside he will be hurting again. Cause his mind will be back on focus, not on playing in the yard. good luck.

Hi Rocky and Family - YOUR first stop should be to the vet for some x-trays...
It could be just a joint injury....Hard to say without a vet visit.
SEE here for more info on joints and hips*
Ligament- Joint options/
en.allexperts.com