Buckeye

I have a few questions about dog food and dog treats?

I just have some questions about dog food and dog treats.

-What are some good dog treats for dogs with food allergies? My dog is allergic to tons of things. He can have venison, fruits, veggies and some other kinds of meats. I can't seem to find anything that doesn't contain wheat flour, barley, chicken, potato, rice, etc.

-What is considered a healthy dog food? What about an unhealthy one? What are some healthy and unhealthy dog foods that I should look out for?

-Is feeding a raw food diet better than kibble?

-What are some unhealthy dog treats that I should not buy? Healthy ones?

Sorry for all of these questions! I was just curious. Thanks so much :D :D

Asked by Buckeye on Jun 2nd 2010 Tagged food, treats, hypoallergenic, healthy, unhealthy in Other Pet Products

Answers

pretty much everything has that. You are right.
You can use real stuff as treats like we do now. I use raw hamburger, I will cut up pork and beef parts also.
I will cook whole hearts for treats, the stay together really well for treats, they don't crumble and they are kind of spongey when cooked.
I don't trust store bought anything anymore.
I can't think of any healthy store treats. All of this stuff seems to upset all my dogs in some way.
People ask me all the time what I use because I don't feed kibble anymore. I come up with some unique entries but the dogs love them. You can cook liver too. but, that is very rich, you could do the beef heart. I fry it after slicing it across in slivers. I fry it in butter or olive oil, then I let it cool and dice it up.Dogs certainly do anything for beef heart raw or cooked.

What are some good dog treats for dogs with food allergies?
I've pretty much quit buying commercial dog treats. I've been using bits of Cookie's kibble, lunch meat (though avoid too much of this, it is high in salt), bits of meat, even some vegetables. I found that Treader loves peas.

Oo, opened a can of worms you have. Depends on who you ask. I've found that the best idea is to research for yourself rather than rely on others to to it for you.
My opinions on dog food can be read here:
www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com

If you ask me, heck yes. It's biolgically appropiate, there the most digestible diet you can offer a dog. Therefore for the majority of dogs in the world, I believe raw would be the very best choice. I've been feeding raw and partial raw for going on two years now and the vet has been impressed with the health of my dogs.
That said, again, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. There are convincing arguments from both sides. To get started, check out the links in this post:
www.dogster.com

Jinjo *Stumpy of the Wild*

First, read packaging, read packaging, read packaging. That is what I've been doing for years now with my guys poultry allergy. You would be shocked how many times I've found kibble/treat flavors of lamb or fish that have "chicken fat" lower in the list! It's very hard, but its what I do to make sure he's free of the runs (he's a pain to as his furnishing are the most stubborn to clean!). You could also try making your own treats, there are LOTS of recipe books on the market, I see them at the local libraries and used book sale. The best part you can use only what you want, plus they don't last long "out" but you can freeze them for later. Another good investment, a food dehydrator. You can make a ton of yummy goodies with one from meat to fruit!

Jinjo *Stumpy of the Wild* answered on 6/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Thank you for asking this question!

Check out these sites for good treats:

www.completenaturalnutrition.com

www.merrickpetcare.com

Or, you could look in my group threads for homemade dog treat recipes -

www.dogster.com

Check out this site for amazing info on what's really in pet food:

www.bornfreeusa.org

Do not feed anything like Pedigree, Purina, Old Roy, Iams, etc. These brands are horrible for dogs and can cause medical issues, obesity, allergies, etc. Did you know that the number 1# health problem in dogs is obesity?

Healthy dog foods are:

Orijen
Solid Gold
Merrick
Timberwolf
Holistic Selects
Halo

Many of these dog food companies will have treats.

Whatever works out for you and your dog is the best to feed. I think, also, a homecooked diet is great, too.

Paw-mail me for lots of info on this.

Nearly everything you read about dog food and nutrition here and elsewhere on the net is nonsense. Food allergies are a problem. Most dog foods contain some kind of a carbohydrate, and you list all the common ones as wanting to avoid. Have you tried sweet potatoes? www.dogfoodanalysis.com might be useful to identify one. Bear in mind, the ratings there are the unscientific, biased work of one unqualified person, as are most dog food rating sites.

For a more scientific view, see skeptvet.com

There is both sides at www.woodhavenlabs.com

Once you find a kibble your dog does well on, you can use it as treats for training.

Ask your vet about raw diets. Most vets are opposed.

I dunno about the treats, maybe try the freeze-dried meat treats? I've seen it in the smaller stores, but never tried it myself. You could get bully sticks and moo tubes for chews. I try to stay away from by-products, unnamed meats, corn, and grain with both treats and kibble. Our favourite treats are Zuke's and Wellness Just for Puppy.

You could make your own treats, using a bonding agent that works for you dog. Gio's fishy fudge is a favourite of ours, which you can search here on dogster.

For kibble, if you choose to go that route, you could try Horizon Legacy. They use pea starch as the bonder instead of potato, plus their food is grain-free. They are a Canadian company, and I think they have different meat options.

If your dog can't have chicken, then perhaps raw would be best for you? Or the raw frozen meat from Nature's Variety?

Luci

Hello,

I have had success with these, which I can find at the PetSmart down the street from me.

www.petsmart.com
www.petsmart.com
www.petsmart.com (my dog loves the Canyon Creek chicken/banana treats, I haven't tried the non-chicken ones just yet)

Hope you're able to find some treats for your dog :)

Luci answered on 8/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer