Ezio Auditore

i have a dog who is never stop pulling, some said that harness will never teach a dog how to walk normally? is it true?

Asked by Ezio Auditore on Oct 20th 2011 in Leash Walking

Answers

It depends. Some harnesses will actually encourage a dog to pull. Others can offer more control for you. There are also tools like a Halti, or a Gentle Leader that are made to help this issue.
Have you tried the "be a tree" technique? As soon as dog pulls you *plant yourself. You do not move until he lets the leash slacken. It takes time, and you may only get 100 ft in an hour, but the dog learns to associate pulling=walk stops; no pulling=walk goes on.
you can also teach a hand target & have dog target your hand while walking. Dog's nose touches your hand..mark/treat.
A shorter leash can offer a greater level of control.

I'm with Riley... it depends on the harness. Don't forget, the first thing they do to teach a sled dog to pull is to put a harness on it, BOL!
However, there are speciality harnesses which help prevent pulling such as the easy walk harness.
When all is said and done, there is no miracle piece of equipment to stop pulling. It takes patience and hard work, no matter what method you use. Find a method you like and practice, practice, practice.
Don't forget, no matter what method, always reward your dog for NOT pulling!!!

Here's my suggestion:

www.petco.com

Instead of creating a "pleasing" sort of tension to pull against, this will actually turn the dog around when it pulls. I weigh 110 lb and was able to walk a superpulling 130 lb. mastiff when he was wearing one of those things.

Starbutt

I wouldn't use a harness I would use a collar or a choke chain but be careful if you don't know how to use one then don't.put the collar up high on the necek closes to the ears you will have more control walk you dog close to you if your dog pulls give a small jerk don't do it to jerk the dog off his feet I think it is you jerk up not outward. you can say no or what ever you use to correct your dog. I have did this with my own dogs the collar is tight enough to get one or two fingers in and not hard to get in the collar it as far up on the neck closes to the ears and jaw line. Even see dog whisper how he does it this is what I did with my dogs they didn't get it at first but after a few time of the jerk they did.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 10/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer