Caspian

I have a dog that has a hard time learning tricks?

My dog is very stubborn. When I try teaching him a new trick he gets frustrated with me and moans and groans. If he just gets what I am trying to tell him it would be easy. I taught him quite a few tricks but that was when he was young. I need tips on training a stubborn easily bored 1 year old dog. (now I am using a clicker and treats and he still gets frustrated with me)

Asked by Caspian on May 15th 2013 Tagged stubborn, dog, training in Commands

Answers

Maybe he's just bored with the whole thing. You need to give him something to work for. Maybe you need to find a treat he would die for and only use it for training and nothing else. Jax would die for bananas, Koby lOOOOVVVVEEESS chicken jerky (which I make myself), Kali can't have any treats. It depends on the dog what their favorite treat is.

I don't think Caspian is stubborn, bored maybe, and quite possibly unsure of what your asking of him.
Do your research and find different ways to teach him new things. Keep the training short, happy and reward when needed. Dogs love to please their owners, they live for it, you just need to find what works best for Caspian.