I have a Black Lab,Pitt mixed female 13 months. She is very smart. I've tried and tried to house break her. I crate her

Asked by Member 1110653 on Oct 30th 2012 Tagged housebreaking in House Soiling

Answers

Have you had her to the vet to rule out a UTI? If so, when you crate her, do you take her out every half hour? If she goes, she earns one hour of freedom. If not, then she goes back in the crate. Also, restrict her access to the entire house. She has to earn that too. Good Luck!

Beauty and Nala

i disagree just a little. I myself crate my 8 week old puppy for just a few hours a day and not all at once. I think crating because of accidents is not effective. i take her out every hour to the exact same spot so she knows this her "potty" area. maybe a vet trip would provide better answers, at 13 months she should be able to hold it until shes let out. you can also try puppy pads, put it down and as she gets used to going on that move it closer and closer to the door you take her out to potty, after she is used to going to the pee pad at the door remove the pad all the way and she should go to the door and then you know she ahs to potty.

Beauty and Nala answered on 10/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The purpose of crating is not BECAUSE of accidents, it is to prevent the puppy from using the entire house as a toilet. A dog will not soil their bed and if they are kept confined and only allowed out when under CONSTANT supervision, housebreaking is a simple matter.
DO NOT use papers or pee pads, this will only serve to convince your dog that you WANT her to go in the house.
Keep her in the crate when you are not right there watching, when she is out take her outside OFTEN, praise when she goes, and keep her tethered to you OR confined to the room you are in via baby gates or closed doors until she is reliably house trained.
If you leave her alone just to go to the other room to get a drink of water, it is giving her the opportunity to go inside...take her with you OR put her in her crate.
It will take longer since she is older now, but with supervision and dilligence it will work. Remember, each time she goes inside she is learning that it IS okay so you need to prevent