I have a barely 5 week old puppy and I need some help with what to do.

I recently got a just barely 5 wk old rotty puppy. I know he should not of been taken away from his mother that early but I didn't want him to go to someone that wasn't going to take care of him properly. I need some information as far as what I should do to ensure he is getting adequate nutrition. He has a vet appt on monday so I need some help in the meantime. I bought puppy formula and have been giving that to him every couple of hours. I also got IAMS puppy food that I am planning on wetting and mixing with formula. Please help me out with any additional advice or something that I might be missing. Thanks

Asked by Member 613990 on Mar 29th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Why you need to get him early to make sure no one else got him? Wouldn't the breeder hold onto him for you? Or did he come from a shelter?
Google "care for 5 week old puppy" and you'll come up with some results if there is advice anywhere on the internet.
Of course, it's your choice what you feed him, but not many of us think much of Iams here...

leon

i don't understand... why do have a puppy that young... but i agree with gray...

leon answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lady

Try Gray's suggestion.
I brought Lady home when she was only 4 weeks old. I *rescued* her basically (It's a long story). I was told the the mother refused the pups all of a sudden but when I tried 2 leave the property the mother wouldn't let me leave. Really sad situation. I would have taken the entire liter if I could. I was admonished by my vet until I explained the situation.
Ur puppy can begin eating mush, combine the formula with a high quality kibble (I hate IAMS - can you try Royal Canin or another high end food?) so the kibble becomes mushy, the pup will learn to take to solid food. The formula is important 2 continue or a little longer though. You'll get the full story from the vet on Monday but you can do this over the weekend. That's it, pretty simple really.
I think maybe you didn't explain yourself completely. A breeder would NEVER have allowed you to take that young of a pup. Maybe your situation is similar to mine with Lady. Don't judge too harsh till u know all detail

Lady answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dudley

I agree that you seem like you are really trying to do the right thing and are at least a knowledgeable enough to know the pup really shouldnt have been taken away from it's mother. I'm quite sure there's more to the story but that's not the point here so I'm not sure why people are focusing on it.

I think you're doing enough for the pup to do well over the weekend until you can get better advice from your vet on Monday.

I agree that IAMS isnt the greatest food but honestly I'd use it until the bag was gone and meanwhile look for a higher quality food to use in the future.

Are you keeping the pup near you at night so he feels more secure? Just being in the same room with you will help him with any anxiety and over time if you dont want him in the room with you you can slowly move his crate (or bed or whatever) away to where you want it.

Good luck with your new pup! Join Dogster and show us some cute pictures!!

Dudley answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cleo

Just chiming in on the food suggestions. Since he's so little and you've already got him on formula, I wouldn't give him too much mush right away, just a little bit in a shallow dish or pie plate, and be prepared for him to be *covered* in it! While I helped a rescued stray with her 9 puppies, I noticed some of them ate the mush right away, but they *all* played in it! Running the dry chunks through a food processor or coffee grinder makes mixing mush a lot faster and easier on you. Watch giving any dog food with a high corn content (like Iambs, but it's not as terrible as some other options). Good luck, and we'd love to see pictures of the little guy!

Cleo answered on 3/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer