BELLA

I have a 4 year old female Chihuahua, Bella. Should I get another female to add to my family or should I get a male as a

Would a 4 year old female Chihuahua get along with another female Chihuahua or a male?

Asked by BELLA on Apr 27th 2009 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Usually adding a second dog works out fine. Occasionally when there is a problem, it is most often 2 females. To be on the safe side, get a male. Well bred, neutered ones shouldn't have behavior problems. If you are buying from a breeder, look for one where the stud lives in somebody's home.

Huntington

I agree with the first entry.

P.S. My puppy has that same toy!!!

Huntington answered on 4/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Muntz

Honestly it depends entirely upon the personality of your dog. Most likely a male will be an ideal match, but you may find a female she bonds with just as easily.

Make sure to introduce them on neutral ground, be sure they get along before bringing home the new addition, and always watch their interaction carefully.

Rescues are typically a great choice. But, if it's not for you, make sure you use a reputable breeder, with good lines, and ideally where this isn't the first breeding of the dam and sire to each other.

Muntz answered on 4/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

I agree with the first response as well. Typically, a female will get along with a male better than another female. We owned a female and later adopted a male and another female of the same breed. The male easily gets along with both females, but I'm hesitant to leave the females together unattended even though they have lived together for close to a year now.

Maggie answered on 5/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer