Rusty

I have a 4 month old male and a 2 months old female Cocker Spaniel that I intend to breed. Not now after TWO YEARS. Help

Both the male and the female come from different bloodines, no inbreeding in their pedigree. Parents of both are champions. The parents have been checked for all illnesses and the vet has given them a clean chit. I will send take these two for shows as well to get them the champion title. I intend to breed them but after TWO YEARS because I know they should not breed before that and also I need to educate myself on breeding. Could you please help me out on the precautions to take so that they don't breed before TWO YEARS. Any suggestions are welcome. I dont have experience in breeding thats ahy I need atleast TWO YEARS to educate myself. I also have a mentor who is breeding for the past 25 years. However, you suggestions are welcome too. The more I learn the better :)

Asked by Rusty on Jan 9th 2010 in English Cocker Spaniel

Answers

What Jack says.
At the top right of this page click on the Forums button.
Look around at the topic headings. Post your questions on breeding there. You will get lots of responses from those Dogsters. Try it, you'll see.
Try posting in Dog Health or Puppy Place. Just click on the topic, that will open up a new page and you can "start a new topic". Ask away!

If you have mentor ask him to guide you. The dogs should be more then just 2 years, they should have impeccable testing and things like OFA certified, in your country the should have a hip program, you have to temperment test your dog, since they are field dogs they have to have eyes certified. Also they have to be in perfect health. If they are puppies, have them spayed and neutered there is really no big million dollar business breeding dogs. i mean that as a honest reply.

Cyan

www.amazon.com

Also, do not breed at 2 years of age. At that age they will both need their OFAs, about $500 each. Simply have a vet look at them isn't enough to assure they are breed quality.

Cyan answered on 1/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chloe

This is a website for dog LOVERS, not people looking to make money by exploitation of our canine friends, so, I say this in the most supportive way;I strongly suggest you learn NOT breed! Educate yourself on THAT issue; Call the ASPCA, research on the website, talk to professionals & LEARN that you are hurting not helping by breeding. As for monetary gain, since you have the time, energy & money involved in breeding, there are many other things you can achieve in a positive dog-spirited way.

There are innumerable dogs that are homeless, abused, neglected, and have to be put down because of people that think they can make soo much money. All because of greed and irresponsibility. By the way, what are the statistics of your cocker spaniels winning a "champion title"?

Besides the fact you don't even know what you are getting yourself into, please rethink your decision.

Just an opinion of course. But most people have to learn by doing, so best of luck to your "champions".

Chloe answered on 4/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer